G42 Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the site I linked to earlier, the Gold Dots did not penetrate deep enough using his 2.8" test barrel, but I would just about bet they would be just fine in the 3.25" G42 as far as penetration. From the pictures he posted, the Gold Dots were one of few that actually fully expanded in the denim tests. I do not know enough about velocity versus expansion in the difference between a 2.8" and a 3.25" barrel, but I personally feel the Gold Dot is a decent choice. None of the XTP loads expanded fully in the Denim tests, but they did get the 12" minimum penetration depth, and did not over penetrate. I am on the fence between the HPR, Hydrashok, and Gold Dot for Primary carry round.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always liked the gold dots. I'm picking some up tomorrow and will run them and post how they perform at the range. I'm hoping the function well.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to HH and put 100 rounds of ball and 20 rounds of hornaday HP down it. Loaded it 6+1. Shot slow, fast, one handed and limp wristed. It shot like a glock. Zero issues.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot it left as usual with the first few mags, but after that it's actually pretty accurate. Even doing several mag dumps it was still center mass and did not stray much. Very soft shooter, like butter compared to the LCP.

It's loaded 6+1 with the Hornaday and in the wife's purse on duty. I will switch them out for the gold dots tomorrow when it get them.

Edit.

It was not enough of a felt difference for her between the 26 and 42, so the trusty 26 is back on duty. I will keep the 42, but hard to beat what the 26 is. I will still carry my 23 or 27, but slide the 42 into the pocket on occasion.

Last edited:

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put another 150 of ball ammo, 20 rounds of hornaday HP and gold dots. PMC shot fine, I had one stove pipe about round 260 with the S&B ammo. The entire 50 rounds of that seemed weak to me. The gun was disassembled and lubed when it was new and had not been cleaned again. In my opinion the failure was the combo of a weak round and dirty gun.

I also carried it in a Blackhawk pocket holster a little today in blue jeans and it's hides and rides just fine in the pocket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom