Generator question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its been a while since I have had to keep up with all the new stuff out there. In fact this question probably shows that. Can you(or is it recommended to) use synthetic oil in an air cooled engine. The generator in question is a 7000W Honda. The manual doesent say anything about it but my thinking is synthetic might let it run cooler and at the same time change less often. In my earlier days there was no synthetic oil so...

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use synthetic Mobil 1 in everything, including my AR15. If someone can articulate a reasonable reason why it shouldn't be used in a generator, I'm listening.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 in all of my small engines, especially the ones that get used in the winter. The synthetic doesn't thicken, and in my way of thinking, that is going to get the engine lubed quicker which should increase the longivity of the engine.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, I wondered about the same thing a year or two ago and ran across this:

Honda Engines FAQ
Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda engine?

Honda engines are developed, tested and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Synthetic oils may be used; however, any motor oil used in our engines must meet all oil requirements as stated in the owner’s manual. In addition, recommended oil change intervals must be followed.

I might use synthetic in Honda lawn mowers and such, but for something as critical (and finicky) as a generator I'll stick with what it was designed to use - and maintain it (including oil changes) as recommended in the manual. Of course, that's just me.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny, I wondered about the same thing a year or two ago and ran across this:

Honda Engines FAQ

I might use synthetic in Honda lawn mowers and such, but for something as critical (and finicky) as a generator I'll stick with what it was designed to use - and maintain it (including oil changes) as recommended in the manual. Of course, that's just me.

This is all marketing. They want you to buy their $2 oil that costs $4+.

GC, to answer your question yes. 1000% YES. You can use synthetic oil, I have it in my Honda 1000i and every single other thing I own, Amsoil to be specific. Just make sure to use the correct viscosity and API specification and you're golden. I'd recommend Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Other than Amsoil it's the only true 100% synthetic made in the USA except for some others that are mainly for racing (Red Line) or imported from abroad (Royal Purple) and those just aren't worth the extra cost. They won't do a thing for you that's worth the cost or hassle of finding them. Amsoil and Mobil 1 EP are every bit as good and actually better in most tests. If you need more specific info I'll be happy to send you the data sheets. Just shoot me a PM.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Kind of like the auto companies saying you have to use Ford Break in oil, etc.

When I worked at Conoco in the oil bottling department, there were 7 brands other than Conoco that went through the line. All had the same feed stock, just different labels, and colors of containers.

The same went for grease tubes.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my homebuilt aircraft days, we used a variety of power plants for the planes. One of the most popular for the smaller birds was the 3 cy Geo out of a metro. That engine is extremely finicky about using the correct oil as far as viscosity. If you used a heavier oil than recommended, the lifters would pump up and not completely release, resulting in burnt valves. We got several engines that way and did a little repair on them to make a reliable aircraft engine for experimentals. Lots of harmonics to overcome with the 3 cyl though.. I would assume that as long as the viscosity matched what the manufacturer wanted for the engine that synthetic would work just fine.. It does tend to leak more easily than regular oil in my experience.. Good discussion

Latest posts

Top Bottom