Getting a new carry gun, need info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm kinda slowly researching a subcompact to add to my stable. There are very few times I can't conceal my G19, but they do crop up every once in a while. I like the idea of a smaller gun with common magazines and controls, but frequently, the constraint on the G19 would also preclude the G26 on width and weight, leaving me looking for something thinner and lighter. Usually the situation is needing to tuck my shirt in, but not warranting a jacket. Pocket carry is pretty much out for me, unless I look at going to the KT .32 / .380 sized guns. So I'm basically looking at either SmartCarry or Shoulder Holster/ Undershirt holster carry.

Because of ammo availability and the fact that I'm already set up to reload for 9mm that's what I've looked at exclusively, so that's why I haven't included guns of any other caliber.

Cost is also a concern to me, not that I'm going to cry over $500, but I'd rather not spend $1000 on a rarely carried gun. Someday that may not be the case, but it is now.

What I'm most seriously looking at:
Kahr P9/PM9/CW9 Price points me to the CW9, but the shorter grip of the PM9 really attracts me as a BUG or deep cover gun.
KelTec PF-9 Price, size - great. Still have questions on reliability. My grandfather has one, so I will hopefully be able to swing some range time soon.

What I haven't considered:
Ruger SR9c The SR9 is a very thin gun compared to the other polymer double stack 9s, so this may be an option. Wish they had something between the SR9 and the LCP
Taurus subcompact 9s

As mentioned, most of the double stack sub compact 9s are great, just don't gain (or lose) enough compared to the G19 to satisfy my needs.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting the same make of guns for defensive purposes helps you stay ready in case the situation arises that you have to defend yourself.

i dont agree but thats why they make so many different brands cause everybodies different, glocks are good guns but iv never been impressed enough with them to buy one,(i probably will one day just to say iv got one) iv never got rid ofany pistol once i buy it it has a home for life, :scratch:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dont agree but thats why they make so many different brands cause everybodies different, glocks are good guns but iv never been impressed enough with them to buy one,(i probably will one day just to say iv got one) iv never got rid ofany pistol once i buy it it has a home for life, :scratch:

I carried a 1911 for 6 years and swore I would never own a glock or an AR. Here it is, 2010, and I have 2 ARs and 2 Glocks (maybe soon to be 3).
Had a buddy who swore by his, and finally took a chance and picked one up. I guess, in the end, all that matters is that you trust whatever gun you use with your life. In a way, its your best friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom