Getting used to carrying concealed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PistolPackin'Honey

I picked up my CCW last Friday afternoon, and I've been in quite a few places so far.
I'm guessing that "I've got a secret" feeling wears off sooner or later. I'm catching myself walking past people and wondering what they'd think, if they knew.
My mother is surprised I caught the self-defense bug so quickly. She asked me why I felt the need to carry. I told her that ya get the sh*t scared out of ya once, and you decide that no one will take your personal power away from you ever again. She is not judging me, in fact it's the opposite. She's applying for hers!
I'm learning I like on-body carry better than purse-carry. I feel I have more control over the firearm when it's on my person, and carrying in my purse makes for a very heavy bag. I am still deciding if I prefer appendix carry versus lower back. I like appendix because of easier access, but it makes it hard to bend over or sit down.
Since I decided to do this, in typical woman fashion, I've spent way too much money trying to decide which holsters I like. My Remora was my first & it's still my favorite so far. (as long as my pants are snug enough to hold it up.) I've ordered a flashbang holster. That ought to be interesting. Not sure if I will like it or really really hate it. With summer coming up, it's a good way to conceal it with minimum clothing.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"That feeling" wears off after just a bit. After that, you feel naked without it. Don't worry about other folks; they are oblivious to anything less noticeable than a nuclear explosion.

As far as where to carry and what holster, that is going to be different for everybody. You will end up with the proverbial "box of holsters" that didn't make the cut. Nearly every carry gun I have has a Crossbreed Supertuck to match, but that requires a belt.

When it comes to CC, the answer is always "it depends". You just have to find what works for you.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it wears off. . .kinda. You get comfortable with it, but have to be careful not to get too comfortable, if that makes sense.

The people who say you feel naked without it? Yeah, I used to think they were just being melodramatic. . .but it really does start to feel that way.

Mrs. Jack T sometimes uses a Remora, a belly band, or a flash bang. . .but her normal EDC is a Bodyguard .38 in a cheap leather clip IWB holster at 1-o'clock.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my wife prefers a modified appendix carry... most of her pants have narrow belt loops or no belt loops... she's using a paddle holster to carry a micro 1911 9mm
watch the small -of-the back... if you fall on a pistol back there, it may break your spine or do serious damage... it's a long draw and it's sweeps more area than a 3-5 o'clock hip carry.

Train a lot.... or come out and shoot IDPA ... you need to be familiar and confident with a firearm, shooting from a draw, shooting while moving etc.

Good luck

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with small-of-the-back holsters. Consider what will happen if you fall backwards. Hard object crashing against your spine.

I've been very happy with my SmartCarry.

P

PistolPackin'Honey

My carry pistol is a Ruger LC9.
The only other gun I have is a Judge Public Defender, not counting my husband's gun.

I don't wear a belt like ever, so that limits some carrying options.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, the almost-paranoid "Does everyone know? Am I concealing enough?" thoughts disappear. It's only been 14 months since I've carried and I'm out of that mode of thinking, though I'm always concerned with printing or exposing. I don't want to say I feel anxious when I leave the house without my firearm, but I do feel a little nervous. Maybe vulnerable is a better term.

For many options and opinions from a respectable source, check out faliaphotography's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

She has several holster demos all while wearing different outfits that most ladies might find themselves wearing for different occasions.

Yes, as a male, there is definitely something sexy about her videos. But I promise, there's helpful information there, too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom