Getting used to carrying concealed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I need to be informed of something I may be missing here by the previous posts. I just got my CC and I intend to carry it concealed as per the Oklahoma laws as much as I possibility can. In many ways of carrying there may be a clip or bulge showing that may or may not be a cellphone, wallet, small knife, ipod, etc or a firearm.

As I see it, as long as I am carrying in such a way that does not depict what my clip or bulge is connected to, I think I should be legal. Is this true?

If a good guy or bad guy desires to use their imagination, or look close enough that I have a bulges in all four pockets, Wallet, cell phone, keys, another wallet, (or something) or a clip on my belt with a bulge underneath that is mysterious is there a reason why should I be concerned with this that I seem to not be aware of?

Funny you mention that. I carry using a CrossBreed SuperTuck holster, which has two belt clips with big crosses on them. This holster is designed to allow you to tuck in your shirt, which exposes both clips. For those familiar with CrossBreed holsters (which is quite a few people considering how popular they are), spotting two belt clips with crosses on them immediately gives away what's under your shirt. Though anybody who recognizes the clips probably doesn't care that you're packing because they probably are too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. I carry using a CrossBreed SuperTuck holster, which has two belt clips with big crosses on them. This holster is designed to allow you to tuck in your shirt, which exposes both clips. For those familiar with CrossBreed holsters (which is quite a few people considering how popular they are), spotting two belt clips with crosses on them immediately gives away what's under your shirt. Though anybody who recognizes the clips probably doesn't care that you're packing because they probably are too.

The j-clips will solve that problem, I believe. Although I'm not sure if the j portion has the logo, too.

I also have a Supertuck style (copy). I love it. It is for my Taurus PT145, and although I have lately gone to carrying my new Commander-sized 1911, tonight I decided on the Taurus. I could not believe how much more comfortable the Supertuck-style holster was. Sheesh, I miss it! Definitely going to have to get one for the 1911, now!

To the poster above who fell on a gun and ended up with vertebral fractures... I'm not denying the contribution of the gun to you injuries, but landing on your back after being thrown off a horse - I'm wondering how many of those injuries were unavoidable, anyways? I dunno, the gun surely didn't help any, though.

As a grown man, I don't think I could think of 3 times in my adult life I've actually managed to fall and land flat on my back. Maybe not a single time... nope, I take it back. Once, on the ice. I pulled the ol' "feet fly straight out and land on the back" routine. That's it... Not sure I will let that one episode significantly change my mode of CC.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The j-clips will solve that problem, I believe. Although I'm not sure if the j portion has the logo, too.

I also have a Supertuck style (copy). I love it. It is for my Taurus PT145, and although I have lately gone to carrying my new Commander-sized 1911, tonight I decided on the Taurus. I could not believe how much more comfortable the Supertuck-style holster was. Sheesh, I miss it! Definitely going to have to get one for the 1911, now!

To the poster above who fell on a gun and ended up with vertebral fractures... I'm not denying the contribution of the gun to you injuries, but landing on your back after being thrown off a horse - I'm wondering how many of those injuries were unavoidable, anyways? I dunno, the gun surely didn't help any, though.

As a grown man, I don't think I could think of 3 times in my adult life I've actually managed to fall and land flat on my back. Maybe not a single time... nope, I take it back. Once, on the ice. I pulled the ol' "feet fly straight out and land on the back" routine. That's it... Not sure I will let that one episode significantly change my mode of CC.

Oops, I actually forgot to mention you can order different clips off the website that are a bit more obscure.

Thanks!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-368298.html
Seems several police agencies forbid SOB carry as it increases injury potential in a fall.

Years ago linemans climbing belts had a hammer loop dead center in the back. About 1970 it became illegal to have a tool loop in that location. Lineman falling in big wrenches and hammers had a demonstratably high rate of paralysis caused by tools carried in the center.

SOB is harder to draw or retain in a fight that appendix or hip locations.

I've fallen off a few horses .... Anything heavy on the waist can exasperate injury.

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your gun needs to be readily accessible and you need to be able to get a good draw grip on it before you pull it from the holster. You also need a lot of practice doing this so your drawstroke is quick and safe, so using a wide variety of different holsters to accommodate your wardrobe is going to present you with the challenge of becoming proficient in drawing from all of them, not to mention that you won't have the advantage of being able to reach for your gun in the same place every time: you'll have to take a split second to think about where you're hiding it.

I hate belts. I can't tell you how much I hate belts. And I don't like loose, baggy clothes, either. But I'm wearing nice, thick Looper belts with my low-rise jeans and patterned shirts or fitted shirts with a second, looser layer (did I mention that I hate layering, too?) because a sturdy belt is a superior tool for keeping your gun and holster snug and making the gun easy to draw (because the holster won't ride up when you draw the gun). I've been reluctant to make wardrobe changes in order to accommodate a gun, but it's sort of a necessary fact of concealed carry as far as I can tell.

As for the FlashBang holster, well, sigh. First, bras are expensive and I don't need extra weight hanging off of mine and ruining it prematurely. Second, yanking a gun out of a holster is nothing like drawing a gun out of a holster, and I don't want to use such an inexact motion to draw my weapon. Third, where is that gun pointing when you get your hand on it to draw? At the bad guy? No: it's pointing at anyone standing beside you, and you sweep everyone between that point and the bad guy as you move the gun into firing position. I shudder to think that there are an untold number of women out there carrying in that thing, walking around with muzzles pointed at me and the heads of my children instead of at the ground the way they should be.

Purse carry: make sure you have a very solid, reinforced strap that cannot readily be cut with a sharp knife. Make sure you wear it cross body so it cannot be lifted off your shoulder, and keep a hand on it. Don't drape it over the back of the chair when you are seated or ever take it off your body. If someone were to snatch your purse, you've not only lost the best means by which you can defend yourself, but you've put a gun in the bad guy's hands. I couldn't agree more than on-body carry is far better than purse-carry.

Best of luck finding what works for you!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen the flashbang holsters demonstrated at gun shows several times... they were impressive.

But I can see where a flashbang holster would be uncomfortable for some women wearing a bra. Especially for overly well endowed women who already have back problems and issues with strap pressure on their shoulders

When I was going through basic training... there was a stripper [a former Miss Nude Universe] that could wedge a full pitcher of beer into her cleavage... handle first... and then lean forward and pour beer into 6 mugs... 3 mugs held in each hand. She could have held a OWB leather holster with a fully loaded Glock 21 between her breasts... without a bra. To bad all women aren't blessed with assets like that....!

[Just teasing ladies. I wouldn't wish that on any woman.... gotta cause a lot of back & health problems over time.]

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose, soonergto, we'll have to wait until the first guy to get shot by a woman carrying in that holster survives and confirms that he was temporarily immobilized by the idea that a woman he'd attack would be fool enough to show him her breasts. I'd rather count on developing a quick, smooth, and accurate drawstroke to buy me that extra second than hoping that the bad guy is going to be so crippled by my sudden, insane (apparent) interest in "giving him a thrill" that he stands by, slackjaw, waiting to get shot.

Frankly, I'm not interested in giving the bad guy a thrill, even for a split second. I expect him to take me seriously from the moment I make oh-no-you-didn't eye contact until he decides to pick another target or pays the penalty for a bad decision. Nor am I interested in carrying a holster that requires the muzzle of my weapon to be pointed at anyone standing to the side of me, or for me to sweep anyone between me and the bad guy as I draw it, or for me to sweep my own feet. The universal rules for responsible firearms handling don't get tossed aside by virtue of my being a woman, and Flashbang holsters demand that women who use them violate at least one of those rules; namely, "never point your firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy." All of the good intentions and "clever concealment" in the world isn't going to make up for a negligent discharge in which an innocent bystander is injured or killed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom