Girls got em an incubator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a chicken rancher but I like how you call them "head." Not sure the proper way to count chickens other than a 2 piece or 3 piece with a biscuit. Either way sounds impressive when you say "My girls are running 121 head over in the south pasture all buy themselves."

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got any started pullets? I could use round 10 or so.
Wife said they don't have anything old enough to be able to sex yet. They are gonna be hatching some cream legbars soon that you can tell the boys from girls as soon as they hatch.
Thanks for your interest!

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well they finally shut the incubator down. They hatched well over 200 chicks and probably 20 ducks. I guess they'll fire the chick hatchin business back up just before spring.
They've got plenty of breeding stock.
40 chickens/roosters various breeds and each breed in its own coop
5 guineas
1 turkey
9 ducks
120 head of young stuff various ages that they've hatched.

This all started just over a year ago with 3 little girls saying they just wanted a few chicks from Atwood's. Lmao

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't ROFL cuz they've mentioned it a few times and I know one day they'll just bring some pigs home and tell me they need a pen for em and I'll grumble a lil bit then I'll splain how much more complicated our lives have gotten while I fix em a pen.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kids life on the farm Animal acquisition approximate age guidelines according to my experience over the last 28 years of raising kids on the farm. YMMV, but it WILL happen, it always does.
1. Chicks - yeah in an incubator to start off with then the little bastards are running all over the farm and you cannot find a grasshopper to save your life within a 1/4 section of your home (3-7 yrs old).
2. Chickens - YMMV, I have found that chickens are a lifelong pain in the arse period. (5-101yrs old)
3. Rabbits- We will not even address this, the memories are truly enough to make most curl into a ball, suck their thumb and sob for mommy. (7-16 yrs old)
4. Piglets - Cute little show pigs that they were (4-H sucker punch) all ended up on the butchers hook one day or another. First few cause crocodile tears, then they realize it is gas money and cannot wait to watch the little buggers get sold after the final show. (12-18 yrs old). Many a grandparent has bid WAAAYYYYY too much to get the price up at the sale for that gas money...
5. Goats - Another of the 4-H sucker punches, at one point there were 216 Boar goats running around the ranch with the horses and heifers, bulls and chickens. Rabbits and pigs galore... (10-18 yrs old).
6. Bovine - Well, ya know all about this one, 'cept these ain't cows, these are genetically modified lap animals that exist to be groomed, blow dried, brushed, walked, fed special food, treated like 'ol yeller and generally end up being sold and split between grandparents (see pigs above)
6. Oh and finally, the kids win about three million six hundred and thirty two thousand blue ribbons, red ribbons, trophies, Stars, local paper write-ups and so on..... THEN they go off to College and guess what? Yep time to DOWNSIZE. The kids will cry, whine and wonder why mom and dad just cannot look after ALL the hobby animals after they leave for school, heck, they will be home every weekend to take care of them.....Yeah right. (17-23 yrs old).
Horses are intentionally left off this list as these particular beasts of burden exist simply for the pleasure of the human race.

While this list is only a representation of the uncertain future of the farm kids animal escapades, it is representative of life on the Ranch.
Good luck @Cowcatcher, may you have plenty of Kleenex on hand for the tough times and bouquets of flowers for the good shows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom