Chickens.?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this hysterical thread over on backyardchickens.com. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/caponization.42645/
There's some good info on backyardchickens, there's also some idiots who think they're raising egg laying "dogs" and don't realize they're farm animals meant for food.

I hope the same idiots don't ever find out how they castrate hogs or they'll get a case of the vapors. Making barrows in FFA was pretty brutal by comparison, but there just isn't a "nice" way to do it..

This chinaman has done one or two before, he's got the process down. Looks like someone else makes the incision and he just fishes out the beans. That's a pretty slick "operating table" he's got..

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's some good info on backyardchickens, there's also some idiots who think they're raising egg laying "dogs" and don't realize they're farm animals meant for food.

I hope the same idiots don't ever find out how they castrate hogs or they'll get a case of the vapors. Making barrows in FFA was pretty brutal by comparison, but it has to be done..

This chinaman has done one or two before, he's got the process down. Looks like someone else makes the incision and he just fishes out the beans. That's a pretty slick "operating table" he's got..

I hear ya. People these days are ... well ... in a word "idiots" about critters.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question and free ranging chickens. Birds will spend a lot of time in the yard and in the neighbors field, which leaves them open to hawks. I'm not concerned much about other predators as the birds will be locked up secure at night.

Are any breeds better than others at watching for sky predators? Would a rooster aid in keeping watch? Do you folks lose many birds to hawks and how do you deal with free ranging?

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question and free ranging chickens. Birds will spend a lot of time in the yard and in the neighbors field, which leaves them open to hawks. I'm not concerned much about other predators as the birds will be locked up secure at night.

Are any breeds better than others at watching for sky predators? Would a rooster aid in keeping watch? Do you folks lose many birds to hawks and how do you deal with free ranging?

A good rooster is worth any trouble he is and then some. That said, if you don't have a roo often a hen will step up and perform sentry duty.

I've never lost a hen to a hawk but then my girls are in a suburban backyard with plenty of hiding places close in. I've seen hawks watching the hens and circling overhead but never seen one actually dive into the yard.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roosters seem to be better at watching for any predator. There is a noise that all chickens can make that means danger above and they all run for cover. You will lose some eventually; it is just part of owning chickens. If there are trees nearby, you might notice hawks perching and waiting for an opportunity.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roosters mainly tell predators where they're located by crowing at all hours... :D

Even though we live in city limits we have a neighbor on the next block over who has a rooster. You are SO right. I have heard that damned bastard crowing at all hours of the day and night. I dunno how the people who live closer stand it because I can hear him in my house and I'm easily a good 75-100 yards from his coop.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the late '70's and early '80's, we lived and worked on a farm/ranch and had chickens. This was up in the Panhandle, and if you've ever been there, there are dang few trees. I don't think we ever lost a chicken to a hawk, even though they were easy to pick out from above.

Maybe we just had stupid hawks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom