given glock another chance...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not drinking any Kool Aid,just based on 21 years of carrying and shooting Glocks,all calibers at one time or another.I've still got my 19 I bought in 1990,it has had 1000's of rounds through it with out even a hick up.I teach Cleet Phase 4 at Center of Professional Studies,we have 5 G-19's that have over 50K through each of them and the only thing we have ever had to do is replace the trigger reset spring occasionally.Never had a k-boom.No Kool Aid here just real experience,not internet pictures. Steve

I don't doubt it a bit, the G19 is an excellent platform. My whole point about Eric's Wilson was to show that someone could put 90K rounds through a 1911 platform in a relatively short amount of time and it will do just fine. The military had documented over 250K through some frames. Several platforms could go 50K rounds these days, Beretta, XD, S&W, H&K, Sig, CZ etc. So I guess I just never understood all the retared cliches and exaggerated anecdotes you always see on the net on either side in defense of internet lore, especially when history of service and actual tests done by military and gov agencies show different.

Speaking from actual experience, my G22 started having problems when I started putting a light on it, my G/Fs G30SF has been great so far but it DOES have the wear on the trigger bar you see plastered all over Glocktalk, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I does bother me that I'm shooting a .45 that is wearing a groove in the trigger bar. Hopefully, an "upgrade" will come soon. :D I have never had a problem with any other of the several glocks I have owned over the years. On the flipside I've owned and still own several 1911s and the only ones I had problems with were both STIs.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
BTW,using Eric for an example is not a good one.He's forgot more about 1911's than most will ever know.He also detail strips his gun after every match as well as replacing springs regularly as well as any maintenance.It's also a Wilson. Steve

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW,using Eric for an example is not a good one.He's forgot more about 1911's than most will ever know.He also detail strips his gun after every match as well as replacing springs regularly as well as any maintenance.It's also a Wilson. Steve

Right so..... the service history of the 1911 is negligable because you knew a few individuals that didn't carry one in WWII. Now, I can't use Eric as an example because he cleans his gun and changes his springs regularly? Makes perfect sense.

I guess he's an idiot for carrying it on his hip everyday according to the previous comments. :D

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Right so..... the service history of the 1911 is negligable because you knew a few individuals that didn't carry one in WWII. Now, I can't use Eric as an example because he cleans his gun and changes his springs regularly? Makes perfect sense.

I guess he's an idiot for carrying it on his hip everyday according to the previous comments. :D

I guess I don't understand this post or maybe you didn't read mine.Let's try again.....1)Eric Fuson is an expert at tuning and maintaining a 1911,way better than most people,not to mention he's a great marksman with any firearm.
2)Hell yes he can carry one on his hip(see above)
3)It's a $2500 Wilson to begin with.
I worked with the man for a year and he and Tammy have given me personal training.He is NOT your average 1911 person.Ask him what it takes to make a 1911 reliable sometime.Then ask him what gun he would pick if he had to rely on an out of the box firearm to protect himself.I think I'm done with this thread ,I don't like 1911's and you want to argue.I'll probably own a 1911 again someday but it will be a Nighthawk or a Wilson and I still won't carry it to defend myself,it will strictly be a range gun. Steve

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is like watching a couple people argue about the two hottest girls in the class. (I know, plenty of you think Glocks are ugly.) Glocks and 1911s are the cat's meow IMO. I like them both equally. I like my G17 almost as much as the CQB I had before it. Were there things I liked about the CQB more? Absolutely. There is something almost magical about 1911s. Are there things I like about the G17 more than the CQB? Absolutely. There is something almost magical about a Gen 4 Glock 17.

In the end, go with what works for you. If that is Glock, go Glock. If that is a 1911, go with a 1911. If I had the available funds, I'd own and carry both.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand this post or maybe you didn't read mine.Let's try again.....1)Eric Fuson is an expert at tuning and maintaining a 1911,way better than most people,not to mention he's a great marksman with any firearm.
2)Hell yes he can carry one on his hip(see above)
3)It's a $2500 Wilson to begin with.
I worked with the man for a year and he and Tammy have given me personal training.He is NOT your average 1911 person.Ask him what it takes to make a 1911 reliable sometime.Then ask him what gun he would pick if he had to rely on an out of the box firearm to protect himself.I think I'm done with this thread ,I don't like 1911's and you want to argue.I'll probably own a 1911 again someday but it will be a Nighthawk or a Wilson and I still won't carry it to defend myself,it will strictly be a range gun. Steve

One wonders how the 1911 made it nearly 100 years without the "Erics" and "Wilsons" of the world? :D

I've talked to Eric several times about 1911s and I'm familiar with his opinion. IN fact I probably agree with what he's said to me about what it takes for a realiable 1911. Good steel and good specs to put it simply. Problem IS that hand labor isn't cheap like it was in days past so companies cut corners, you then tend to run into problems and everyone wants to re-invent the wheel to look cool on the cover of Supertactical weekly. VERY few guns are actually built to JMB's original specs these days. Those specs made it through an initial torture test of 6000 rounds and several years of military service. The 1911 companies that tend to stay within the original design seem to do much better than others. Hence the success of Colt, Brown, Wilson, NH, Baer, Wesson etc etc.

FWIW, I'm not being any more argumentive than yourself. I just happen to believe that a 1911 is a viable defense platform, just like most Glocks.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is like watching a couple people argue about the two hottest girls in the class. (I know, plenty of you think Glocks are ugly.) Glocks and 1911s are the cat's meow IMO. I like them both equally. I like my G17 almost as much as the CQB I had before it. Were there things I liked about the CQB more? Absolutely. There is something almost magical about 1911s. Are there things I like about the G17 more than the CQB? Absolutely. There is something almost magical about a Gen 4 Glock 17.

In the end, go with what works for you. If that is Glock, go Glock. If that is a 1911, go with a 1911. If I had the available funds, I'd own and carry both.

I'm in the same boat for the most part. In the same sense I won't buy a Taurus PT1911, I also wouldn't buy a gen 4 G17, because of the reasons Buzzdraw highlighed in another thread. If anything I think the original G17 design was "magical" .... kinda like 1911s. :D

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

That makes sense so it's no fun.Quit trying to be logical.:smash: Steve

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original JMB design was the 9mm High Power which is an excellent platform,having owned several,that performs flawlessly. Steve

I was refering to the specs he laid forth for 1911s as that was the topic of discussion and the Hi-power design you see today was finalized years after the 1911 and after his death.

Latest posts

Top Bottom