Going to Austin in a couple of days for a short stay . Any issues with CC there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have fun with the traffic. One of my wife’s brothers moved to Austin. He’s as liberal as they come and I suspect he’s bisexual too lol. He loves it there. Enjoy the beer and bbq

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was warned about the 'Posting' at the door of any establishment that sells alcohol.
It tells you if it is legal or not to enter with a hand gun based on the percentage of their
sales that include alcohol. Very strange but was cautioned because it includes convenience stores.
Weird.

edit; and some restaurants

from the web;
The restriction on carrying a firearm in bars in Texas doesn’t just refer to traditional bars. It also applies to an establishment that earns more than half of its revenue from alcohol-related sales and consumption. In Texas, this is known as the 51 percent rule. In other words, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission considers an establishment a “bar” if it makes 51 percent of its income/revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages.

There are several laws to consider.
51% law applies to pretty much anyone carrying, with the exception of on duty cops.
The signage isn’t only for businesses that sell alcohol.
Any business that wishes to exclude concealed carry by an LTC holder MUST prominently post a TX 30.06 sign.
Any business that wishes to exclude open carry by an LTC holder MUST prominently post a TX 30.07 sign.

If they wish to exclude both, they need BOTH signs displayed

These signs are hard to miss as if the meet the legal requirement they will measure about 2 feet x 2 feet.

30.06 Specific Requirements (as laid out in the above statute):

1. Explicit Language Required: “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
2. Must be in English and Spanish
3. Appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height
4. Is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public

30.07 Specific Requirements (as laid out in the above statute):

1. Explicit Language Required: “Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly”
2. Must be in English and Spanish
3. Appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height
4. Is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

TX 30.05 allows for the simplest sign for a business to post. It however, does not apply to LTC holders.

The legal requirement for this sign have been simplified. The standard with this sign is, “Reasonably likely to come to the attention of the person entering the area”. Because this requirement is so broad, we could see various signs develop.

PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.05, PENAL CODE (CRIMINAL TRESPASS), A PERSON MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY
WITH A FIREARM.
CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.05 DEL CÓDIGO PENAL (TRESPASO CRIMINAL) UNA PERSONA NO PUEDE ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD
CON UN ARMA DE FUEGO.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Texas there are three different signs that restrict a License to Carry holder from carrying their handgun into a place of business. They are a 30.06 sign, a 30.07 sign, and a 51% sign.

A 30.06 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a LTC (License to Carry) holder from entering the business with a concealed handgun. The sign must contain the exact words required by Section 30.06 in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.06 sign. "Gunbuster" signs, or signs with a red slash through a gun, are not considered valid 30.06 postings.

A 30.07 sign is a sign that a business owner can post to restrict a LTC holder from entering the business with a handgun carried openly. The sign must contain the exact words required by Section 30.07 in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public and at each entrance to the property, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.07 sign. "Gunbuster" signs, or signs with a red slash through a gun, are not considered valid 30.07 postings.

A 51% sign is a sign that a business is required by law to post if 51% of their revenue is obtained through on-premises drinking, such as at a bar. Unfortunately this also has the consequence of not allowing LTC holders to enter the premises where the drinking is taking place while carrying their handgun.

Additional places are not required to post a sign to forbid LTC holders from entering the premises with their handgun as Texas law already forbids it, such as court houses and certain educational institutions.
There is also the new 30.05 Criminal Trespass “No Guns Allowed” sign.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I never carry my gun on my person in Texas. But it is always in my vehicle.

I'll probably be down in Austin early next year helping with an anime convention, so this information is good to know.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I never carry my gun on my person in Texas. But it is always in my vehicle.

I'll probably be down in Austin early next year helping with an anime convention, so this information is good to know.
Yeppers that’s is what I’ve decided to do. Not worth the hassle in public even concealed. In the car keeps it simple

Latest posts

Top Bottom