Going to puree some persimmons ( Fail)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Native persimmons or Asian. I know some of the Asian varieties are seedless and you don't have to wait till they are mushy.

You know, I'm not sure but I'll find out tonight. They are awfully big so maybe Asian?? They look really plump ... 🤷 I just noticed them last night and we were crazy busy last night so I didn't have a chance to investigate. BUT ... This store is owned by a Vietnamese family -- and we have just recently put in an Asian section -- so again, just guessing off the top of my head -- I'd guess they were Asian.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours are done here in the Ponca Area. We have a small grove of 27 trees with more young ones coming on in our yard. The deer, coyotes, raccoons and possums swarm that area in October when they fall traditionally cleaning up the dropped fruit when they hit the ground.
I won't eat one hanging in the tree even though it's soft. It isn't ripe until it drops is my mantra.

In years past, I've tried to germinate seeds to start a grove at the farm but cannot get the seeds to start a sprout.
I read online that you had to use sandpaper to scuff up the exterior of the seed before they would germinate and another that said you had to use the seeds that had gone through the digestive system of an animal, so I've gathered deer and coyote poop trying to get those seeds to sprout. Nothing works.
They drop so many seeds one would think the groves would look like aspen forests in Colorado, but there must be something about them that prevents that.
I've never messed with persimmons but the old folks used to say about somebody "He's shaking like a dog passing persimmon seeds."
Maybe they were talking about foxes and coyotes eating them?
Dunno.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard one were always too sour for me. Had to wait til first frost for them to turn soft and wrinkly. Then they were sweet like candy.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nature's pumpkin spice. Yes the native persimmons need to be soft and wrinkly to be ripe. I've ate many before a frost . Just have to make sure they are ripe. These have had a couple light frosts but many not ripe yet.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I'm not sure but I'll find out tonight. They are awfully big so maybe Asian?? They look really plump ... 🤷 I just noticed them last night and we were crazy busy last night so I didn't have a chance to investigate. BUT ... This store is owned by a Vietnamese family -- and we have just recently put in an Asian section -- so again, just guessing off the top of my head -- I'd guess they were Asian.
Most Asian persimmons are huge compared to native. Native persimmons are usually smaller than a golf ball.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most Asian persimmons are huge compared to native. Native persimmons are usually smaller than a golf ball.

Ok well then I don't need to even check. These are Asian persimmons -- they are bigger than a golf ball by about 2 or 3 times. They are a really dark orange color and look really tasty to tell the truth. I'm gonna pick up a couple of pineapples when I leave this evening -- probably get a half dozen persimmons when I do -- just because. 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom