Good grease gun that doesnt lose prime???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the trick here? Seems mine loses prime and I can't get anything to come out. Tried storing it "upside down" to see if it would help, it did not.

Why do they do that, and are there grease guns that dont?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a DeWalt battery operated grease gun. It sometimes sits for months in the winter and always works just fine when I try to use it. Never lost prime when reloading, either. I don't know if it's a good one or not...but it always works. That's what I care about.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a Lumax, lost prime when reloading. Had Milwaukee, lost prime when reloading. Have a Dewalt, it will occasionally lose prime when reloading. The air valve makes it easy to get her chooching again tho. The tiny handpump greaser I squeeze into motorcycle swingarms never has a problem, but my hands can't hardly take it anymore.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
blue-point pneumatic here, kinda a pain to get it going when re-loading, but never looses prime once ya get it going unless ya run it out.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the trick here? Seems mine loses prime and I can't get anything to come out. Tried storing it "upside down" to see if it would help, it did not.

Why do they do that, and are there grease guns that dont?
They have been leaking and losing prime ever since I have used them in the late sixties. I still have my dad's leaking SOB's! I have to keep the damn things inside a plastic bag.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spring behind the plunger cup should keep it from losing prime.
After reloading, you have to bleed the air.

So after use, I release the spring as to not leave tension on it. Is that not proper protocol?
Seems if you store it with spring engaged, it'll leak and/or push the plunger past all the grease which I've had one do.

Never thought I'd be considering a $100-$200 grease gun!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom