SW OK/Lawton General Power Outage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were headed to FGST lunch, when daughter called and said power out all over town. Lots of places closed. Target had power and was packed, but cash only and people throwing fits.

Goodyear never lost power. City called and requested they shut down, to allow rerouting power to the city. They shut down at 3 pm. People sent home, NO PAY.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bet that most of the chicken littles that ran out to get a generator had electricity back on before they could even come close to starting it. How many of those will back feed their house and possibly hurt someone? How many will run it in an enclosed space and risk CO poisonings? What do you mean my little 1K generator won't run my AC & fridge?
A lot of people think grocery stores have big warehouses in back.......... Nope. Food gets put on the shelf as soon as the trucks are unloaded. Stuff that needs to be refrigerated will just stay in the refer trucks.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol
Biggest thing I noticed was that 98% of the idiots driving don't know how a four-way stop works. It was like some s*** from a Charlie Chaplin movie
Wanna bet some of those fools saw the video of the chinese ship getting bombed & thought China was retaliating?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH and the hits just keep on coming.

This one is a good one.
So far, I've had three patients that "couldn't get their car out of the garage."
I mean really?????

Now, that being said...a lot of people use their garage door and opener to go in and out of the house.
I'm guilty of that.
When an unexpected power outage hits, it is important to have the front door keys available!!!!
Again, I've been guilty of that!!!
Did find an interesting work around.
Lowe's has this key kiosk called the "Minute Key" where you cut your own keys.
Door keys only it seems.
But...
One of the options is to cut a "virtual key"
So, once you cut your key, you can save the virtual key file and cut another key at another date without having a physical key!!
Don't know how networked the system is, but...
And some folks will say if the power is out at the house, it will be out at the store, but not always.
Anyway, interesting fall back option.
Our garage door opener has a battery backup, but still, why couldn’t they pull the release rope and raise it by hand.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
All of the stories above is just another reason why I try to avoid Lawton. Elgin now has a Braums, a good bbq joint, Williams, Ace hardware, O’Rileys, and TH Rogers just around the corner in Fletcher. I can get 99%of what I need in those places, and avoid the stress.
We definitely need another grocery store though. Williams needs some competition seriously bad.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH and the hits just keep on coming.

This one is a good one.
So far, I've had three patients that "couldn't get their car out of the garage."
I mean really?????

My garage door has a built in battery that will raise and lower the garage for quite a few reptations when the power goes off. Very handy.

Maybe about 5 years ago there a power outage in SW Oklahoma. There was no power for quite a distance, many counties and into the Texas side of the border.

No one could get gas for their generators, etc.

The town of Mangum (Greer County) still has its old power plant that is still operational and only is used for emergencies. Big assed generators. Mangum cranked it up, the whole town had power, and the gas stations were busy. People were driving 75 miles to get gas to take home. I still have family in Mangum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom