Got my new AR! Optics question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to OPS to look at a used (I couldn't tell it was used at all) DPMS that was fully dressed and a good price. But while I was there a brand spankin new Rock River LAR-15 came in that they had been waiting months on, so I scooped it up. I added the lower rail, a vertical grip, EOtech XPS3-2 (night vision compatible) and a cheap sling. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow!

Anyway, I wanted to know what a good scope would be to mount on the flat top in front of my EOtech. Do any of them work well this way? I'm thinking something 3-4x. Probably only shooting inside of 100yards most of the time with occasional 200yards, so if there is a better magnification for this purpose let me know. I've never owned a scope before or an AR for that matter.

Or if adding it in front of the Eotech is a bad idea, let me know that too. Also, I've pretty much blew my wad on this purchase and the fact that I'm also looking for a semi-auto 12ga right now, so I don't want to get anything super expensive.

afiles.crossroadshospice.com_dean_images_AR1rs.jpg

afiles.crossroadshospice.com_dean_images_AR2rs.jpg

afiles.crossroadshospice.com_dean_images_AR3rs.jpg

afiles.crossroadshospice.com_dean_images_AR4rs.jpg

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used an Eotech 3X BEHIND the 553 and 557 (and still have one rifle with a 557).

But do not know of anyone putting something ahead of 'em.

You might check with OPS (or the Eotech website) to see if the Eotech 3X magnifier will work with your model.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Front sight post -> EOTech -> magnifier -> folding rear backup sight

Although from the perspective of the shooter, the EOTech is behind the magnifier. But it's towards the front of the weapon.

jstone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my new rock river I had the good folks at Medlocks in Collinsville build me. I am in the market for an EO tech like that one. I was wondering how much your package was and how much that EO tech was. Also, I heard that OPS had an indoor rifle range. Is that true?

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The EOtech XPS3-2 lists for $529. It is the smallest model made and has a night vision mode to be used in conjunction with helmet mounted goggles or a rail mounted scope. There was an $80 mail in rebate but unfortunately it expired 1/15. :(

I paid $450 for mine, but the sticker said $529. May have gotten a discount since I bought the gun and everything else. Bare RR LAR-15 was $899 (RR's feature things like hand fitted parts, forged, two-stage trigger, guaranteed 1" group at 100yds out of the box and lifetime warranty), with collapsible stock and removable carry handle. I have bought several guns there.

They had a great deal on a fully dressed DPMS (used but you couldn't tell, very nice shape) with quad rail with covers, flip up iron sights, EOTech, vertical grip, collapsible stock for $1100.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom