EOTECH Just Made My S**T List

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Never owned an Eotech, never plan to...they burned their name in my book when they got caught selling known defective sights to the military
I was in when that was going on and retired into industry and worked at one place doing thermal sight BD, then went to L3 when they finished and finally cleaned it up. About a 9-10 yr process. My boss at my first civilian job, went to L3 and was called to testify to Congress 2 weeks after he got there - "make the new guy do it" kinda thing.
The defective sights were an easy fix - hence you have XPS with sideways batteries and new contacts in battery boxes running lengthwise (L3 engineers fixed that) to fix the shorts and burned contacts; but that's not what they were hiding.
They had a serious thermal drift issue (POI/POA and zero shift) at altitude and temp swings, and they kept saying it was fixed but wasn't and lied or decived the GOV repeatedly. Even when they kind of fixed it, L3 had to pay millions of dollars. It's still an issue especially with any kind of MRD or reflex. Eotech just got caught because they had USG contracts and testing is what caught it. If any other company had a contract with the same kind of sight they'd get caught too, then the decision is to lie or not to the GOV.
The thing is, is that Eotech is the only US made reflex sight manufacturer that meets all the requirements for the contract. Nobody else does, so that's why it's still going strong.
Ive been anti eotech since 2016 when they constantly turned off while on running drills. Given, 512s suck with the whole battery spring facing the same direction as the recoiling mass of the rifle but after that, meh,
If you were still a Leatherneck then, you weren't supposed to still have those old battery boxes. They were supposed to change them all out or swap sights. But I see it a lot with Marines and their arms rooms, they never get rid of sh*t.
If you were a civilian at the time, then that was in the grace period to swap the sights for new.
It was hard to get it though their head that they really didn't want mil-spec.
Most civilians don't know what mil-spec is. Eotechs cost $700+ because they recoup all the cost for being "mil-spec". "mil-spec" ain't free and they roll all the testing cost into your "mil-spec'" device.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll file it away. I lost about all faith in BBB ratings when known crap companies are shown with stellar BBB ratings.
I just filed on them with the BBB so it'll be interesting to see what happens. I will tell you this though, after looking them up I saw that EOTECH is not accredited and has an F rating with the BBB.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you. Sounds frustrating and aggravating.

Me personally: I would never let $21 upset me. My time and life are too valuable. I’d just note the occurrence, throw it in a drawer or list it here.
It's not about the money. That's a common problem right now......those doing the Sh+t are not being held accountable. I'd be on them to make it right or pay the price via what Gadsden is doing whether it's 10 cents or a $1K

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not about the money. That's a common problem right now......those doing the Sh+t are not being held accountable. I'd be on them to make it right or pay the price via what Gadsden is doing whether it's 10 cents or a $1K

At the end, time is money, so it’s about the money. And good for you if you would worry about it. I would not.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the end, time is money, so it’s about the money. And good for you if you would worry about it. I would not.
Sorry. I mean no offense to you but sometimes you just have to stand up and call out wrong regardless of the money or the time involved. That’s how all this Trans and pride crap has gotten out of hand. For so many years we looked the other way saying “doesn’t affect me” so I won’t waste my time on it. Now it affects us all every day. Can’t hardly watch TV or game shows, even commercials

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they offered a refund on the early sights that had problems I took them up on it. I got my money back and never bought another one.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it's not about the money, it's all about the principle of the thing. As far as time goes, I'm retired so I've got plenty of it.
Sorry. I mean no offense to you but sometimes you just have to stand up and call out wrong regardless of the money or the time involved. That’s how all this Trans and pride crap has gotten out of hand. For so many years we looked the other way saying “doesn’t affect me” so I won’t waste my time on it. Now it affects us all every day. Can’t hardly watch TV or game shows, even commercials
Very, very true. Even the game shows my wife used to watch are being deluged with all the LGBTQ whatever crap. It's gotten to the point where she doesn't watch them anymore and that makes me sad because it was something she used to enjoy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom