Got to show off my new target for pistols.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
556 will erode away divots in 2" think mild steel. Hardness is more important than thickness when your projectile is moving that fast.

my cousin had a 1" plate target that he wore out in about 3 years when he cut the next target he put a tin lip around it and melted that orange pvc pipe into it and it made a neat little target.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really miss having my own range!
At 5/8" thick I'm betting that 5.56 would show minimal if any damage.

I have a private range with 1" steel 1018.

.223, and up don't deflect. they punch a hole in the steel at a 45 degree angle.
A .300 win mag at 100 yds will put a dimple on the back side of the steel.

Range master Rowdy in OKC can supply you with AR 500, and AR 600 steel targets. Water jet cut.

DO NOT SHOOT steel with a high power rifle unless its designed to be shot by that caliber.

I built that years ago when I didn't understand what a HP rifle bullet can do.

Its in a scrap yard as we speak.

USPSA regs require 23 feet from the shooter to the target.

From the MGM website:

MGM strongly discourages shooting ANY steel closer than 15 yards. Period. Shooters AND spectators (especially children) should always wear ear AND eye protection, regardless of target composition (steel or paper). Any closer than 15 yards presents a significant risk of the shooter or spectators being hit by bullet fragments. Generally speaking, MGM targets will easily handle hits from any traditional defense caliber handgun without significant marking.

Regarding bullet fragments hitting shooters and/or onlookers, ANYTIME you are shooting steel, this is a possibility. I don't know anybody who has shot steel, that hasn't been hit by a fragment hard enough for it to draw blood. It is usually so insignificant that it doesn't even require a BAND-AID®, but I suppose that it could be much worse.

The MAIN reason bullet fragments hit people is because the surface of the target is damaged. Damage is usually the result of 1) the target was shot with a rifle (or shotgun slug, or .44 Mag -or larger-), or 2) the steel was too soft to be a satisfactory target, in which case, traditional pistol rounds could have damaged it, or 3) any combination of the above. If the target face is smooth, bullets hit it and splatter like an egg thrown against a wall. If it is dimpled or cratered, bullets hit it and ricochet out of the craters in any direction. I personally know of bullet fragments from a high powered rifle that flew back over 200 yards, to then hit the wall behind the shooter. (That was NOT an MGM target!!) Damaged steel should not be used, even with extreme caution, regardless of the distance the shooter is from the target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom