Governor Stitt Signs the Bill: Oklahoma is now a 2A Sanctuary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so if uncle Joe Biden orders a buy-back of AR15's, the OK court system has to fight it.
Sounds good, hopefully it will hold up.

With all the other states that are doing something similar, it should take a while for it to work it's way thru the courts.

So does this mean the acts of '34 and '68 don't apply to OK? Help out a dumb okie understand please.

Asking for a friend also

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why the exemption for the 1934 NFA and 1968 GCA? If you're gonna support gun rights, go all the way.

Nothing more than voter pandering, just like his abortion bill. When it gets down to the nut-cuttin', these bills will matter not at all.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D. The preemption provided in this act shall include: 1. Any regulation of arms and ammunition, pursuant to the National Firearms Act of 1934, prohibited or regulated on or after the effective date of this act; and

They just went all out for the big kahuna straight out the gate.:clap3:

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why the exemption for the 1934 NFA and 1968 GCA? If you're gonna support gun rights, go all the way.

Nothing more than voter pandering, just like his abortion bill. When it gets down to the nut-cuttin', these bills will matter not at all.

"Preemption"

1. take action in order to prevent (an anticipated event) from happening; forestall.

A synonym is "to prevent."

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
D. The preemption provided in this act shall include: 1. Any regulation of arms and ammunition, pursuant to the National Firearms Act of 1934, prohibited or regulated on or after the effective date of this act; and

They just went all out for the big kahuna straight out the gate.:clap3:

Unfortunately there will be some rocket scientists who will post a video somewhere that causes them to catch the eye of big alphabet and will be made an example of for many years.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately there will be some rocket scientists who will post a video somewhere that causes them to catch the eye of big alphabet and will be made an example of for many years.

B. Any federal, state, county or municipal act, law, executive order, administrative order, court order, rule, policy or regulation ordering the buy-back, confiscation or surrender of firearms, firearm accessories or ammunition from law-abiding citizens of this state shall be considered an infringement on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and Article II, Section 26 of the Constitution of Oklahoma.

C. It shall be the duty of the courts and law enforcement agencies of this state to protect the rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and to bear arms within the borders of this state and to protect these rights from the infringement provided under the provisions of this act.

Any federal agent attempting to confiscate any firearm from an otherwise law abiding person inside the state would be violating state law, and section 2C would require local law enforcement to arrest them.

The question is if it will be enforced. It has real teeth, IF it's actually enforced. It literally says in no uncertain terms that, for example, the law prohibiting machineguns is preempted in the state, enforcing it is illegal, and it's the duty of local LEOs to prevent its enforcement.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I can read. Let's see how this is interpreted.
There's only one way to interpret it. Federal gun laws, including the NFA, are preempted in the state, and it's the sworn duty of local LEOs to stop anyone who tries to enforce them on an otherwise law abiding resident of the state.

The question is, will they actually enforce it, or will they just puss out and let the ATF run roughshod. I'm guessing the latter, but I sure do hope to be proven wrong!

ETA: Nevermind, read the fine print on the next page. The kicker is where they define "infringement." Turns out this is a gigantic nothingburger that's 100% about posturing for reelection campaigns. They bamboozled us in other words. This doesn't preempt anything, and it has no legal standing to preempt anything in the future either. It's nothing but mental masturbation of the highest order.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The question is, will they actually enforce it, or will they just puss out and let the ATF run roughshod. I'm guessing the latter, but I sure do hope to be proven wrong!

Im guessing the most the state would do is to have their LEO’s not assist the Feds with their “illegal” activities, but otherwise, do nothing to hinder said activities. Then when the Feds threaten to withhold funding, the state will cave in. Virtue signaling, but at least it’s a small step in the right direction.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read the preemption paragraphs to mean if they try to amend NFA or GCA to include any additional items or criteria, it would not be protected by this act. Meaning Oklahoma will enforce those two acts as they are today but will not enforce any future amendments to them. I would have to read other bills with similar wording that have precedent attached to them to see how the courts typically interpret that phrasing though.

I really hope it draws more firearm mfg businesses to Oklahoma. It blows my mind when I see companies like Springfield Armory, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, etc. operate in states that work so hard to make their product illegal. I would imagine a large number of the workers would follow the businesses to a more friendly state since their current residence is also trying to ban the source of their livelihood.

My wife constantly reminds me that I am a little more driven by my values when it comes to job satisfaction than a lot of folks are though. <shrug>

Latest posts

Top Bottom