Greatest .22?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I wanna thank everyone for there opinions, to me this subject means alot because ever since i got my first .22 (ruger 10/22) which i recevied on my fourth birthday, i have been in love with .22s. My current collection of twenty twos consist of:
(in order of me receving it)

Ruger10/22 ( i currently have 5 customs and 1 original 10/22)
Marlin model 60
Browning model 24 (recevied when my dad passed it down to me)
Savage 64f
Savage/glenfield mark II
Remington 597
Winchester wildcat
Henry golden boy
Henry survival
Savage model 23 ( pump action made in 1923, given to me by my pop)

And of course thats just rifles i have a fair share of rimfire pistols to. Anyway back to the pending matter, out of all of my .22s my favorite and what i consider the greatest is the browing model 24, it may not ever be as well known as the 10/22 but it also well never be a common rifle, and it being rare is something that really increases my love for it. I am currently only 15 so i my opinion now could be completly different tomorrow, but the browning has been my fav. Since i laid eyes on it.
Thank you,
Corey doug.

thats a nice start j/k! can't have enough 22's. fun to shoot and for the most part,cheap to buy. you say your only fifteen, thats awesome! thats about the age when i sold my guns to buy cars,motorcycles and impress gurls. shoulds kept the guns!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always roll my eyes just a bit at the threads that start out,,,
"What is the best/greatest/finest anything?"

In terms of sheer numbers sold,,,
It is probably the venerable Ruger 10/22.

But if you are talking longevity there are several Marlin, Remington, Mossberg, etc, rifles that have lasted just as long,,,
How many folk who claim incredible accuracy out of their 10/22's are shooting stock rifles?

I'm not knocking the 10/22 at all,,,
If I wanted a carbine length semi-auto,,,
I would have a severely tricked out Ruger 10/22.

But since I'm not all that into rapid-fire fun and games,,,
I consider rifles like my CZ-452 Military Trainer or my Mossberg 340-KC to be "better" rifles.

Either of those rifles have inherent accuracy far greater than any stock 10/22,,,
One of them is approaching 45 years old and will still shoot extremely tight groups at distance.

Now don't get me wrong,,,
I own a couple of semi-auto 22 rifles,,,
And I enjoy shooting them in a casual plinking arena,,,
But when it comes to actually hitting something at a distance they aren't my first choice.

The 10/22 is a great little .22 platform,,,
I just can't bring myself to call it the greatest" .22 rifle.

Aarond

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking for the greatest. I would look for a few things.
In no perticular order.
1. Reasonable cost.
2. Options "Ability to go from mild to wild"
3. Aftermarket parts
4. Proven reliability
5. Fan base
6. Good resale value
For all of these, I have to go with the Ruger 10-22. I have had many 22s and have owned some very cool ones. I am not saying that the 10-22 is my all time fav, but I think it is the greatest 22 ever made.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only .22 I have is a Mossberg 702 plinkster and it's been great to me but the aftermarket for it is non-existent which is too bad. Though good because it keeps me from spending money on it. At 50 yards its minute of squirrel so its as good as it needs to be.

The best selling .22 of all time would be an easy win for the 10/22 I would guess.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Marlin 60 was my first gun at age 9, and I loved it. However, the 10/22 I got at 13 replaced it as my favorite.

The endless options for the 10/22 have allowed me to build it exactly as I want it, which has been loads of fun (almost as fun as shooting it).

I vote 10/22 all the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom