Greatest .22?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny how many people list the ability to mod as a criteria for the "greatest". Back when many of the rifles that were among the "greatest" were made, no (read that as NO) mods were available. They were great out of the box.

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can't pic, all four are sweet. Walther KKJ, Remington 581LH(less than 2000 made), CZ542 LH, Ruger 10-22 International.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_OrthodoxChristmas039.jpg

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester 06--somehow these just fit my hands. Probably because I grew up with one. It'll the next-to-last gun I give up.

Been looking for another one for a while, but prices are stupid high on these.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 10/22 may be the most prolific, but I wouldn't call it the greatest. The problem is that I'm hard pressed to settle on a "greatest" choice at the moment.

The 1st one that comes to mind is the Browning Auto-22. First manufactured by FN in 1914, it's still in production today. It was also manufactured by Remington as the 241 Speedmaster from 1935 to 1949, and Norinco manufactures a clone as well. It's probably the slimmest, most elegant .22 semi auto ever designed. It's a delight to carry in the field and the gracefully contoured grip lends itself well to hours in the hand. The top feed and bottom eject with no exposed opening to the action make for superior reliability. Being a takedown design, it's also one of the easiest .22 autos to field strip and maintain ever made. The fire control system lends itself to easy tuning of the trigger for pull weight and overtravel. Replacement parts are also inexpensive when you wear them out, which is common because they're so fun to shoot. Produced in a .22 short model, they've been extremely popular "gallery guns". I remember shooting them at the Tulsa State Fair as a kid in the 70's.

Someone may come along and post a better choice, but I think this one tops the 10/22.

I have four 10/22 in my safe and I love them, but I agree with this guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom