Green Mountain Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
renegade 001.jpgrenegade 002.jpg
Got the butt plate and nose cap from Track of the Wolf - no holes drilled, big casting leftover to file off, not really a big deal. I really like the buttplate, but I'm not gonna use the nose cap.
I got the stock in yesterday - from Pecatonica, the side in the pic is fairly plain, I think I'll add a patchbox on that side. The left side and top are really pretty nice, with figure. Stay tuned....

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
View attachment 37308View attachment 37309
Got the butt plate and nose cap from Track of the Wolf - no holes drilled, big casting leftover to file off, not really a big deal. I really like the buttplate, but I'm not gonna use the nose cap.
I got the stock in yesterday - from Pecatonica, the side in the pic is fairly plain, I think I'll add a patchbox on that side. The left side and top are really pretty nice, with figure. Stay tuned....

WOOD looks good. Do you have a 90degree carving knife/scraper/chisel? My butt plate took forever to get just right, quite an adventure removing wood in 2 directions and getting a close fit.

For those that have never fitted a butt plate....It goes like this; remove very little wood, ink butt plate, put butt plate on stock, tap with hammer, remove butt plate, cut, file or chisel away ink marks.....repeat 100 times or maybe more to achieve perfect wood to metal fit. Took me 75...100 would have been better.

If you can inlet for a patchbox, you can do a lock, trigger guard, nose cap, side plate, entry thimble and pipes. Same concept. Are you going to do any carvings or ornament work?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done butt plates before - lots of fun filled hours!
The patchbox looks fairly easy, I'm not picking a real complicated design - I know I don't have the skill and patience.
No carvings, but I plan to cast the nose cap from pewter.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I psyched myself up, ready to be very patient and do the buttplate. And I was. And I made a but cut right off the bat. I started not to post a pic, but here's the repair I'm making, we'll see how bad the finished product looks. I hope posting pics of my mistakes along the way with this project will help someone....renegade.jpg
After adding the wood back, I'll rasp/file/sand, and should have a decent match. Once I stain and heat, I think it'll blend OK. Even if it doesn't, this is a hunting rifle, not a museum piece.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I psyched myself up, ready to be very patient and do the buttplate. And I was. And I made a but cut right off the bat. I started not to post a pic, but here's the repair I'm making, we'll see how bad the finished product looks. I hope posting pics of my mistakes along the way with this project will help someone....View attachment 37495
After adding the wood back, I'll rasp/file/sand, and should have a decent match. Once I stain and heat, I think it'll blend OK. Even if it doesn't, this is a hunting rifle, not a museum piece.

If I showed pics of all my mistakes, B Bunny would shut me down for using too much band width....betcha it'll look great, Ted.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned it up last night - it'll look OK.....

On another forum I frequent (old trucks) a lot of members post "build threads" - pics and notes on progress. problems as they restore/build their old Chevy. Would a "build thread" be appropriate here? Would anyone be interested?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom