Green Mountain Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...love build threads...I think it would be beneficial for someone who was pondering building a ML, but just hasn't "pulled the trigger"...pun intended.

I have been following an Arizona friends build thread for some time on another muzzleloading forum...great fun...do it!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
renegade 009.jpgrenegade 011.jpg

In the first pic you can see I got the Aqua Fortis stain in the mail Saturday...had to try it out, it's a nitric acid formula. Apply to wood, then heat with propane, hot iron, heat gun, whatever, the heat causes a reaction and the wood turns reddish-brown. Repeat until desired color is acheived. Obviously I wasn't at that stage yet, but I wanted to see how it worked - easy, and brings out the figure nicely.
I got the buttplate fitted, lots of sanding, I was 95% done, and then used files to work each side of the stock down coser to the edge of the plate. (which removed the stained area) After getting plate as good as I could, I drilled a couple holes in the plate, then held it in place while I driled a hole in the stock. Made sure plate was in position correctly, then drilled 2nd hole. I still need to countersink plate, and I may use a little bigger screw. (I went small on purpose, to allow for correction if need be!)
Next I'll finish out the buttplate (casting sprue, sanding, etc..) them work the wood down on each side, close to the edge of plate.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Progress being made...renegade 034.jpgrenegade 031.jpg
New barrel got here over the weekend - looks great, the guy at Stonewall Creek was a pleasure to deal with.
Bought some el cheapo chisels at Hobby Lobby...this was all they had.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screwed on the patchbox after getting sides of stock about where I wanted them. Center of patchbox running down imaginary centerline of stock. Once box was on tight, I traced around it with an exacto knife.renegade 038.jpg
Then I removed box, scribbled over lines with pencil, then lightly sanded to make exacto line stand out. The maple is really light colored, so it was difficult to see the outline before penciling. (and I cut it fairly deep)renegade 040.jpgrenegade 041.jpg

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
renegade 042.jpg
Now I'm cutting the box out...whetstone next to my work to keep the chisels sharp. The way the exacto was angled around the edge of the box, my inletting should be a little smaller than the actual box. I have no illusions that my skills are up to the level they need to be to make this flawless, but I'm hoping slow and patient will make up for lack of skill....

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shot it 002.jpgshot it 001.jpg
Put all the critical stuff together so I could test fire it. Worked great, now it's back apart, and on to more tedious filing, whittling, etc....

Latest posts

Top Bottom