Green Mountain Barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Cheer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concerning the Green Mountain drop-in barrels for Renegades, I've kept two .40's (28" and 38"), one .58, two .62's (rifling cut in one afterwards) and one of the fast twist .50 cals. Guess it's good thing I was able to grab them at the time. Sorry to hear that they stopped production.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
renegade 002.jpgrenegade 003.jpg

Finally got to work on my stock a bit more. Carved out the area for forend cap. Used my old Renegade barrel, and a brass dowel to fill the void for barrel channel, and ramrod hole. Used clay to create seal around everything, then wrapped cardboard around area to be filled. Poured the hot pewter and everything filled in nicely. I cast it bigger than needed, figured it can be filed off easier than doing it over.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
renegade 005.jpgrenegade 004.jpg

After some filing. Had to use hacksaw blade to cut pewter from around barrel. Still more shaping to do, but you get the idea.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
drunk driver 007.jpgdrunk driver 008.jpg

I finished sanding and filing the wood and the pewter forearm cap. Treated with Aqua Fortis, heated it up, and after a few treatments, came out with the reddish brown color I was looking for. I've since started the finish on the wood, and I'm beginning to brown some steel parts.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
drunk driver.jpgpatchbox 004.jpg
Browned the buttplate and patchbox, along with a few things....
Used Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution - worked great.

Attachments

• renegade 001.jpg
    renegade 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 128

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ar15 006.jpgar15 007.jpgar15 008.jpg

Well, I browned the rest of the steel with LMF browning solution - that stuff is great.
Finished the ramrod - hickory with a brass tip.
Some of the inletting looks like a third grader did it, but I doubt the deer will notice.
Took her to the range twice so far, everything works great, and accuracy is improved greatly from the 1/48 twist T/C barrel.
Ready to spend deer season with it, and see if it works as effectively as I believe it will.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks great man. You did a great job. I chickened out on the finish on mine n sent it out to a guy to aqua fortis the stock n do the metal work.

Im ready for deer season, cant wait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom