Gun owner against the SDA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gee, Maybe we should ban cars, too. How many innocent people get run over because the driver deliberately drove down the street the pedestrian was trying to cross? Better yet, maybe we should ban tunnel vision that afflicts people while concentrating on a target or the end of the road...

Woody

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as the theives turned their back and exited the store there was absolutely no need for deadly force. If you are really worried about losing your CCW rights you should be concentrating on the moron who shot out into the busy intersection. People like him are the reason many people agree with training before you get a ccl. So if you want to keep your ccl it would be more prudent to come to the aid of the man who almost died and to condem the moron who was more worried about his monetary loss than the possible loss of life do to his actions.

That is right on.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are not yet privy to full details of the incident; we may never be.

It appears (and we don't have the details) that actor #1, the jewel dealer, perhaps had no lawful SDA reason to shoot when he shot, since the robbers were fleeing and no longer a threat. Under SDA rules, once the threat is gone, use of deadly force is not permitted.

Actor #2 is blaming the SDA laws for his personal property damage. That's like blaming the Statue of Liberty for the sinking of the Titanic.

It's a shame that "dumb" incomplete articles like that quoted in the original post get written.

Good reminder post on Basic Firearm Rule #4; "know where the bullet is going after its shot".

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question for consideration...............................?
Does anyone KNOW for a fact if the woner of the gem business even HAD a CCL?

ITs without a doubt as a property OWNER he had a right to the firearm INSIDE the business.

May haps, just maybe he has never attended ANY handgun shooting classes.................

Now I do think the guy with the blown out window has a right to be pissed..........

That being said................by his own admission he owns firearms for HOME protection.................so he obviously believes to some degree he has a right to protect HIS PROPERTY..............

just food for thought/:cry3:

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a CCW permit.... just another way of gun registration...

why do more people not see it for what it is???

well to be correct, it is gun owner registration, not gun registration....

generally speaking regulate the gun owners not the guns....

As for the guy doing the whining about the shot being fired in his car.... he should just sit back and consider himself lucky he was not shot, and that he had no one with him... and realize it could have been a lot worse... I have been shot three times, non were fun but I never called for the banning of firearms....I like how the expert witness quoted in accident reconstruction and bullet trajectories was an insurance agent.... I did not know state farm offered these courses at the annual insurance seminar.....

but making him and opponent of CCW, who cares I would like to see CCW go away and give us back open carry.... but you cannot regulate open carry, no list to be made of gun owners and taxes, fees etc.. to be made....

The guy shooting into an intersection, is yes an idiot....

just think if the guy had not had his gun and fired at the thieves, then maybe they would have carjacked the whining guy and then they both could all stand around and wait for the police to get there to protect them....

the guy shooting is liable for the damage his actions caused.... I would think...

not a popular view I am sure but at least it is common sense..

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The original article leaves more "gray area" in not stating from what location the jewelery shop owner fired. Was it from inside his shop, the sidewalk, the roadway; we do not know.

Maybe the police report will have full details or maybe it won't.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gee, Maybe we should ban cars, too. How many innocent people get run over because the driver deliberately drove down the street the pedestrian was trying to cross? Better yet, maybe we should ban tunnel vision that afflicts people while concentrating on a target or the end of the road...

Woody

So a guy that made an unpopular comment about SDA is being criticized yet a comment like this that is really no different goes unchecked.

As for the guy doing the whining about the shot being fired in his car.... he should just sit back and consider himself lucky he was not shot, and that he had no one with him... and realize it could have been a lot worse... I have been shot three times, non were fun but I never called for the banning of firearms....I like how the expert witness quoted in accident reconstruction and bullet trajectories was an insurance agent.... I did not know state farm offered these courses at the annual insurance seminar.....

but making him and opponent of CCW, who cares I would like to see CCW go away and give us back open carry.... but you cannot regulate open carry, no list to be made of gun owners and taxes, fees etc.. to be made....

The guy shooting into an intersection, is yes an idiot....

just think if the guy had not had his gun and fired at the thieves, then maybe they would have carjacked the whining guy and then they both could all stand around and wait for the police to get there to protect them....

the guy shooting is liable for the damage his actions caused.... I would think...

not a popular view I am sure but at least it is common sense..

Interesting how a guy who's property was destroyed negligently by another is "whining". I think his comments where pretty lucid. No experts were quoted, it doesn't take one to see where a bullet went, and who might have been hit. Also interesting how one can spin this into a wild yarn of car jacking, gun control, insufficient police protection, etc. Maybe the "whiner" had his CCL and when they tried to car jack him he got a clean shot? Maybe if the perps hadn't robbed the store none of this would have happened. Maybe none of that really applies and only muddies the discussion.

I'm still trying to make "common sense" out of most of your post.

According to the article the "whiner" did not call for a gun ban, he stated ""It's also made me an opponent of the conceal-carry law". Maybe he has a misconception about what the SDA is, and allows, perhaps he thought the shooter was within his rights under the SDA to make the shot he did.

As Buzz has stated, there are a ton of unknowns, and the media spin on the facts. I'm not going to criticize the guy for making his statement, I don't know what he was thinking when he made it.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, once the immenent threat left, so did his right to bring deadly force to bear. I heard this story several times on KTOK, and they presented it as the Gem Owner had his CCW and (by inflection only) it seemed to excuse him. They didn't actually say that, but that's the way it was spun.

Use of deadly force definately does not extend to property loss. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the article, I am not ready to suggest that either is right or wrong regarding the actions taken.

That said, I am fully of the belief that the current SDA standard is not as strict as the DPS driving test and I believe that is a problem.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom