Gunman opens fire at school board meeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow that is seriously unbelievable. i agree with others that we need concealed carry permission on school grounds as if past events havent reveiled this fact.

BUT the other huge and more important point is that no matter who or how many people have a weapon on their person. Do they have the training or even the guts and mindset to use that weapon to stop the threat and win the fight no matter what?

I think thats a question each of us should ask ourselves at one point or another being concealed weapon holders. if not then maybe something needs to change because even though yes i put my gun on every day thinking well nothing will probably happen but if something goes down im fully prepared mentally to deal with the threat and use any means necessary.

Anyways rant over glad nobody got killed or injured but i definately think it will change those school board members' minds a touch when it comes to security.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two things REALLY bugged me:
1. Police/security response time. The newscast made it look like the guy talked a LOT after letting the first folks go. Maybe it just looked that way, but are response times always so abysmal?
2. When the gal whacked the gunman with her purse, he turned and gave her his full attention. Why the hell didn't the guy seated next to him - now behind him - do anything?And HUGE kudos to the purse-wielder. Talk about guts. I'm so glad he didn't shoot her while she was on the floor. Whew.

Because deep down inside, a large segment of our society are cowards. They are cowering sheep just waiting for the bullet that has their name on it. Obviously the woman with the purse is not in that category. Kudos to her!

UhYeahWhatever

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to present a scenario for discussion.

Let's say that it WAS legal for someone to carry in that room who was NOT in his line of fire (sitting at the table in front of gunman). Would they still have to wait until the gunman discharge a round before they can consider themselves in harms way and return fire?

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO sitting in front of the gunman makes me in the line of fire. If someone is in front of me pointing a gun at me or my peers and I have a way to end the incident, then I'm ending it.

UhYeahWhatever

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That woman with the purse, had it been a gun, could have placed one shot at the base of his skull and ended it right there. There is no need to mention the obvious rectifications needed.

Woody

This scenario was posted while I was typing my above question. Let's say the woman with the purse was legally allowed to carry and shot the gunman from behind. I'm sure some lawyer would say that her life was NOT in danger and find some way to find her at fault?

Your thoughts?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree the purse-wielding woman was brave in taking a swipe at the gunman, I have to say I think she was foolhardy. Her counterattack was weak and ineffectual, and may have contributed to the gunman's sense of urgency. It's pure conjecture at this point, but perhaps her actions contributed to the gunman's firing of his weapon later in the incident. It's too bad the woman didn't have something hard and heavy, such as a brick, with which to clock the gunman - something that would have been more effective in disabling him than a floppy purse. Now, I'm assuming she didn't have a hard and heavy object in her purse. Anyway.

As for the man sitting nearby during this counterattack, he looked like an older gentleman. Perhaps he had bad knees or a weak heart, or some other ailment, so he couldn't come to her assistance quickly enough. More conjecture, so to say "why did this happen or not..." is to miss the point, which is that none of us were there and really, who amongst us could say for sure we'd take this or that action?

On a related note, how would a CCW come into play here without legal repercussions? I know, some of you will say "Better judged by 12 than carried by 6," but let's just focus on the legal aspect. If you had a CCW and were in that room, and the gunman pulled out his weapon but did not point it at you or even confront you directly, what would be considered a justified response on your part? What if you were in the general public seating section - that is, behind the gunman - and you heard him order everyone but the council members to leave? (I don't know if he actually said that since I cannot hear the audio portion of the video; I just noticed the room had cleared out quickly). Could you do anything legally with your CCW if you did not know the council members, and your life was not in immediate danger? If the gunman's back is to you and his weapon was pointed away from you at all times, would you be justified in drawing your CCW and firing at him, rather than just exiting the room with the rest of the public?

EDIT: Several other people just now beat me to it with the concept...

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not speaking legally just my opinion

depends if my wife, who is a teacher, is still being held in the room(or any family member for that matter)

family in the room = bang
no family = game time decision

just my $.02

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm behind the shooter and he has a gun drawn away from me, I still consider my life at risk. He can turn around in less than a second and point the gun at me. I would not be able to predict whether he would do so, nor would I be able to react quickly enough to avoid the situation had he decided to turn around. Definitely justified in my eyes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom