H and H starting to go downhill ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's part of the reason I only go there on weekday mornings.

come to think of it, weekday mornings are pretty much my time for going almost anywhere, I guess I don't enjoy crowds as much as I used to. Retirement is Great!
Just a reminder, when you woke up today, you were already at work.

well, when only two of us were on the range one weekday. I was hit in the face with a ricocheted .45 round. Hit me on the safety glasses. i still have that round somewhere. It was flat and sharp.

Fallbackpuppet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had gone there and purchased memberships regularly since the mid 90s until about 2015 or so. what I consider the slide started with their expansion to open more lanes. Back in the day every range had a side storage area either shelves or a rifle rack depending on the type of range. For the most part those were removed and user to make the shooting stations on new lanes. The result is there isn't any place to put your guns or gear not being used at that moment. If you are lucky you can get one of the two folding chairs that seem to be in each bay, but that still is a suboptimal solution.

Back in the day when they were relatively small I understood why their ball ammo was cheap and the few guns they carried were generally more expensive than other places as it had to do with volume of sales resulting in wholesale purchase volume. However after the merged with outdoor outfitters (I don't know who bought who) and started to expand to be a full service gun store, archery shop, and gear retailer I didn't and don't understand why their prices are generally still 10-20% higher than other brick and mortars around.

I have also noticed the staff has gotten consistently younger and younger (probably because kids work cheaply relative to people who have been around and know things). Overall I think the biggest problem is H&H has deviated from its roots trying to be everything to everyone in the outdoor and sporting community. In doing so they have over stretched their real ability and haven't been willing or able to fill the core skills needed to be successful in the new role they wish to fill.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had gone there and purchased memberships regularly since the mid 90s until about 2015 or so. what I consider the slide started with their expansion to open more lanes. Back in the day every range had a side storage area either shelves or a rifle rack depending on the type of range. For the most part those were removed and user to make the shooting stations on new lanes. The result is there isn't any place to put your guns or gear not being used at that moment. If you are lucky you can get one of the two folding chairs that seem to be in each bay, but that still is a suboptimal solution.

Back in the day when they were relatively small I understood why their ball ammo was cheap and the few guns they carried were generally more expensive than other places as it had to do with volume of sales resulting in wholesale purchase volume. However after the merged with outdoor outfitters (I don't know who bought who) and started to expand to be a full service gun store, archery shop, and gear retailer I didn't and don't understand why their prices are generally still 10-20% higher than other brick and mortars around.

I have also noticed the staff has gotten consistently younger and younger (probably because kids work cheaply relative to people who have been around and know things). Overall I think the biggest problem is H&H has deviated from its roots trying to be everything to everyone in the outdoor and sporting community. In doing so they have over stretched their real ability and haven't been willing or able to fill the core skills needed to be successful in the new role they wish to fill.
H&H bought outdoor outfitters :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom