Hamburgers come from where?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've switched entirely to 50/50 beef pork, purchase separately and mix/freeze at home. My burgers are medium, I like my hot dogs to have a smidge of blackening crunch on them, but my steaks are eaten after cooking about 5 seconds past purple. Never tried a turkey, lamb, or bison burger, but I had an ostrich burger once. Don't recall how it tasted. I do remember the guy giving me a blank stare when I asked if I could get it with a fried ostrich egg on top.
I've had emu burger and steak. Zero fat. Takes twice as long to cook as beef. No fat.
The emu egg was a meal in its own.
Boston burger is our fav as well.
Hot dogs must be cooked over an open fire with much char.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like it red in the middle go to Texas Road house and order it medium well. They're rare I think they just put NEXT to the grill but not actually on it. Personally I like my steak like I like my women...with a hot pink center...
Don't go to the Stillwater roadhouse.
Been a half dozen times, order rare and get medium well if not well done.
Send it back, and it comes out the same.
That's what happens when a 19 year old student is the steak cook and changes every week or so.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"the potentially contaminated beef was produced on April 26 and April 27. There haven’t been any confirmed reports of illness due to the meat, according to the agency’s notice."

"a spokesperson from Cargill Meat Solutions said the products were recalled “out of an abundance of caution.”

As is frequently said....."a nothingburger" ! Still never heard of anyone getting sick from walmart ground meat.....never, never, never, never....
The point is that there is potential with any product for contamination. If you think Walmart or any retailer (or food service operator) is not immune to a food contamination… you are mistaken.

Walmart is not a producer. They rely on several vendors to provide (and test) product. To that, they don’t release product until samples come off QA hold clean. If their QA department does their job, chances are minimized. But mistakes happen.

Walmart as well as any other US retailer (or foodservice operator) are not immune to pathogen contamination. They can minimize the chances … not immune.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't go to the Stillwater roadhouse.
Been a half dozen times, order rare and get medium well if not well done.
Send it back, and it comes out the same.
That's what happens when a 19 year old student is the steak cook and changes every week or so.
Lot of food service operators will not plate a ground beef item not cooked to 165 degrees. Liability is too great.

When they opened the S&B Burger in Edmond, we tried it. I think they served a precooked burger patty. Minimizes the chance of pathogens. Less than good with poor service.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point is that there is potential with any product for contamination. If you think Walmart or any retailer (or food service operator) is not immune to a food contamination… you are mistaken.

Walmart is not a producer. They rely on several vendors to provide (and test) product. To that, they don’t release product until samples come off QA hold clean. If their QA department does their job, chances are minimized. But mistakes happen.

Walmart as well as any other US retailer (or foodservice operator) are not immune to pathogen contamination. They can minimize the chances … not immune.
I stopped buying meat from Walmart 6 years ago when a news insider program said the steaks and roasts were packaged with carbon Monoxide to preserve the red color while they were rancid.

That business will never see my shadow cross their door for this and their 2A bullshat

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lot of food service operators will not plate a ground beef item not cooked to 165 degrees. Liability is too great.

When they opened the S&B Burger in Edmond, we tried it. I think they served a precooked burger patty. Minimizes the chance of pathogens. Less than good with poor service.
Ground is different from a steak. Pathogens are on the surface of a steak while the same cut gets it into the center when ground.
Med well is our ground burger choice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I stopped buying meat from Walmart 6 years ago when a news insider program said the steaks and roasts were packaged with carbon Monoxide to preserve the red color while they were rancid.
I've never, ever heard of anyone getting sick from eating ground beef, or any meat at all, from Walmart. They must adhere to the same rules for buying, handling, storing and packaging as any other grocey store in the country.

Bad Hombre

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every location is different, they have different cooks. The Wichita Falls Road House had a cook that must have hated good steaks. I ordered EXTREMELY RARE and received over med well, just short of well. Wif had ordered MED and got a charcoal briquet. Sent both back and ordered EXTREMELY RARE, came out med well. Had eaten about half and manager came by. I held up the meat and asked how he would classify it? He says it looks very med well. I asked waitress what was ordered, TWICE? She told him, extremely rare. Manager apologized and headed to kitchen.

The Lawton location has always been spot on. We order med RARE and it is somewhere between almost MED and not quite RARE.
I eat at Texas Roadhouse quite often. I always order my steaks and hamburgers medium rare. They never bring me a steak or burger that they don't ask me to cut into it and check for right doneness before they leave the table after serving me. I will eat it up to medium but that's it. I have never had to have them take back a steak or burger in about 8 years of eating there a couple of times a month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom