Hand pump water well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you all have one and what brand did you go with? Right now it looks like I'm trying to decide between the Simple Pump and the Bison. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old antique one that I am trying like crazy to free up, so far no luck.

Need to find someone with more smarts than me to get it working again.

How ever, I would like to know who has a new version of the old pitcher pumps and where they got them, ect.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old antique one that I am trying like crazy to free up, so far no luck.

Need to find someone with more smarts than me to get it working again.

How ever, I would like to know who has a new version of the old pitcher pumps and where they got them, ect.
I saw a pitcher pump at Tractor Supply not all that long ago.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our well was old with a can over the top of the pipe so I bought the cheap one from Atwood’s as a gamble not knowing if the well was still any good. It worked ok in my spike well which was only about 1500 feet from the Arkansas River. You do have to prime/seal them with H20 by putting a glass or two in from the top each time you use it though.

Had I stayed there I would defiantly want something higher quality

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The antique one that I have is a giant, around 6' tall at the top of the stem piece that comes out of the top, but for the life of me I can't get it to free up inside to replace the parts to make it work again.

Anyone ever take these apart??

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
need a pic.. if it is what i think it is the pump is down in the well. it is called a well cylinder and has leathers in it on the plunger and another leather foot valve. you will need to lift the pump jack from the top of the well and with two pipe wrenches unscrew the 2 inch pipe just under the jack. make sure you have a chain around the tubing so as to not drop it in the well lift the pump jack up and separate the jet rod at the rod box. repeat at every joint until the cylinder is out of the well. then you can unscrew the ends from the cylinder and replace the leathers. they last forever! measure the ID of the cyl and get some leathers. most are 3 inch.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cowadle,
Thanks for the link, if I get this apart I will see if they have the leathers for it.
The pump is out of the well, have it at the house right now. Do you unbolt the top of these things? There is a small piece of metal pipe that looks as if it has rusted off of under the pump, think it went into the well itself. Do I need to get it off first or work from the top down??

Latest posts

Top Bottom