1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Handcrafted Canyon Jumper

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Cowbaby, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Cowbaby likes this.
  2. Forgalspop

Forgalspop Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thanks for the info. I went to the Peterson cartridge website and like most reloading supplies, they were out of stock in the .243 chamber cartridges. I will keep checking from time to time.

Cowbaby likes this.
  3. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I shoot that same bullet in my .300 Win Mag, but I've never tried that powder. I haven't shot it in ages and don't remember the load I settled on, but I know I was not getting that kind of velocity! Good luck. Let us know!

Cowbaby likes this.
  4. Cowbaby

Cowbaby Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Well if velocity is all your after throw some RL22 in that 300 or the newer RL23 which I have not tried but is suppossed to be more temp stable version. I could quote you how much but that might get both of us in trouble and you would need to work up to it.

But I will say this it will get you there easy.

DRC458 and dennishoddy like this.
  5. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I will sacrifice some velocity for accuracy. They don't have to be screaming fast to get the job done. I do, however, seek the highest velocity I can get and still maintain acceptable accuracy.

Cowbaby likes this.
  6. Forgalspop

Forgalspop Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I went to this website and they sell .243 brass either made for small rifle primers or ones for large rifle primers. I have been searching the web to find out what, if any advantage there would be to have a .243 cartridge with a small rifle primer vs the typical large rifle primer. I have not found any info on the subject. I have a fair amount of both small and large rifle primers. If their is an advantage to using the small vs. the large? I would be tempted to try them. Anyone have the answer for the need of a .243 cartridge made for small rifle primer??

7. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have heard but I don’t have any first hand experience that SRP brass may produce smaller Extreme Spread/Standard Deviation (ES/SD) and primer pockets hold up better to higher pressure. Some have had issues with pierced primers using SRP brass and bush their firing pin hole and turn their pin.

Forgalspop likes this.
  8. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    CCI 400 will pierce before a CCI 550 will in a .223 and A 450 cci will take much more than the 550.
    I do not know what primers are piercing in the .243 but I do know someone that wanted to build a 1:7 twist
    to shoot 105+ gr bullets from his .243.
    I think pressures can get high with something like that.

Forgalspop likes this.
  9. Jcann

Jcann Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think those who are piercing primers are pushing the higher pressure limits in the 6mm/6.5mm calibers. Gre-Tan Rifles has a short write up on bushing the firing pin here: https://www.gretanrifles.com/single-post/2017/07/24/bush-firing-pin-hole-turn-pin-8000 and it makes sense to me.

10. Forgalspop

Forgalspop Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%