handloaded 5.56 ammo not extracting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you measure the case length or trim the cases?
I did trim them using a lyman EZ trim. I didnt measure after trimming, probably should have. Also, can someone explain how the sizer (which adjusts the case neck) would affect the case rim and the extractor's ability to clamp the rim?

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The base of the cartridge (not the rim) did not get resized. 223/556 is notorious for it. That last little bit of case at the base is too fat for the chamber and is getting stuck. This same issue can cause some out of battery issues if it gets too far backed off. You literally need as much of the case as you can get in your sizing die as possible. Screw your sizing die down until it is in contact with your case holder. Look out for slop in your press that might be cheating you out of .001". I highly recommend an ammo checker to avoid this issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could be pulling the shoulder back out when the expander ball comes out of the case. It's easy to do, so you have to use lube inside the case neck too. Ask me how I know... :hithead:

This is why I love the Dillon sizing die so much. It has a carbide ball that has a very short engagement in the neck. It works fabulously.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
It falls out with gravity when i hold it up
So with the info you have posted, I gather that the following is occurring:

1. You reload 5.56/223 for your AR - it hits all the specs

2. You load said reloaded cartridge into your AR

3. Bolt goes into battery

4. When you pull the charging handle, it moves a little but the bolt will not unlock

5. When you force the carrier or tap the cartridge out, the BCG will move rearward and the bolt will unlock

6. When the bolt unlocks, the cartridge will extract or fall freely out of the chamber

Is all the above correct?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it extracts factory your extractor is fine. If it falls right out, more than likely you are over sizing it just a bit. You need to find someone with a case gauge to drop one in and see. I think you have. Probably set your shoulder of the case back just a bit too far. With 223.it doesn't take much. I also think they will function just fine. They are just dropping into the chamber a bit too far. As Jevapa said. The best way to set your sizing die is to get a case fired out of your rifle and smoke the neck and shoulder up nice and black. Lube the case but leave the spot alone on neck and shoulder. Adjust your die down untill you see a nice light ring in the soot on the shoulder. Not a real huge contact area just a nice light ring... All set. Quick test for your set up. Take a case and back your sizing die out about an 1/8 of a turn, size the case, wipe it off drop it into the chamber and close the bolt gently on the round and the extract it. If it comes right out, you need to back your die out a bit!

Latest posts

Top Bottom