handloaded 5.56 ammo not extracting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it extracts factory your extractor is fine. If it falls right out, more than likely you are over sizing it just a bit. You need to find someone with a case gauge to drop one in and see. I think you have. Probably set your shoulder of the case back just a bit too far. With 223.it doesn't take much. I also think they will function just fine. They are just dropping into the chamber a bit too far. As Jevapa said. The best way to set your sizing die is to get a case fired out of your rifle and smoke the neck and shoulder up nice and black. Lube the case but leave the spot alone on neck and shoulder. Adjust your die down untill you see a nice light ring in the soot on the shoulder. Not a real huge contact area just a nice light ring... All set. Quick test for your set up. Take a case and back your sizing die out about an 1/8 of a turn, size the case, wipe it off drop it into the chamber and close the bolt gently on the round and the extract it. If it comes right out, you need to back your die out a bit!

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First batch of 223 I rolled did the same thing, it ended up being I had to adjust my sizing die. Once I got it set right it fixed the problem.
How did you adjust it? From what im reading, it's looking like i shouldve got a small base die set but i think it's too late to change now. Is there a way to make a FL die set work?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did you adjust it? From what im reading, it's looking like i shouldve got a small base die set but i think it's too late to change now. Is there a way to make a FL die set work?
You need one of these to know if your die is going to work.

https://lewilson.com/case-gage
Or you could use your chamber like mentioned upthread.

CroatGoat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with the info you have posted, I gather that the following is occurring:

1. You reload 5.56/223 for your AR - it hits all the specs

2. You load said reloaded cartridge into your AR

3. Bolt goes into battery

4. When you pull the charging handle, it moves a little but the bolt will not unlock

5. When you force the carrier or tap the cartridge out, the BCG will move rearward and the bolt will unlock

6. When the bolt unlocks, the cartridge will extract or fall freely out of the chamber

Is all the above correct?
1 to 3 is correct. Step 4 is, i pull the CH back, but the round does not come with it. It does try to chamber the next round. I can drop the mag, the next round falls out. If i hold the bolt open and the rifle up, the chambered round falls freely out.
I am sizing with an rcbs FL 'xdie'. Currently, i bring the press to the top of stroke, with shell holder in place, then screw the die in all the way, as hard as i can with finger pressure. I do NOT lower and screw an extra 1/8 turn up or down, i lock it where i had hand tightened it, the way i do with pistol ammo. I do lube cases and inside of mouth before sizing. I do trim cases with a lyman ez trim, then prime, charge, and seat.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Step 4 is, i pull the CH back, but the round does not come with it. It does try to chamber the next round. I can drop the mag, the next round falls out. If i hold the bolt open and the rifle up, the chambered round falls freely out.
Put one round in a mag, Lock the bolt to the rear, insert mag, Drop the bolt forward with the bolt release (DO NOT RIDE THE BOLT FORWARD), then pull the charging handle to the rear and see if the round extracts and ejects. After you do that, come back and tell us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom