• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Oklahoma City Handyman type help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I used to make people mad when they questioned what I charged and I would say I charged what it's worth to me not what it's worth to you, so if those don't match I'll move along ....had more work than I could do and my charitable nature ran out around 50 yo

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Spent the day brush hogging, cutting limbs and digging out a sewer line. I can’t help but find it amazing that if I would have hired it out would have probably cost me $400-$500 dollars for what I got done. Instead I got a bit of a tan, some exercise and a chance to sweat out some impurities. I’m just thankful to God that he gives me the health and ability to work.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 97.1%
34   1   0
I've contacted a couple guys via Facebook post who appeared to be looking for this type of work, but it seems their lack of timely communication skills makes it difficult to want to hire them. The last guy wanted $17 an hour, acceptable for the work, and told me he would get back to me as to when he could come by, crickets. The first guy just failed to "get back to me" after the initial reply. It seems if you're blasting out there that you need work of this kind, and you truly do, you'd at least follow up.

Any members out there know of a good worker who actually wants the work? I'm needing various things, I have some dead trees I need cut down, I have a deck that needs to be treated and a chain link fence that needs a few repairs. If they're good enough to do indoor stuff I have some of that also. A bathroom that needs some updating and such. There's just not enough free time in the week for me to get much done while also working full time. At 62 I'm not getting any younger and need the help. I live in Shawnee.
I am a remodel contractor and have been blessed with a good crew but I feel your pain. Its hard to find anyone that wants to work. I will say this, if you are wanting a bathroom remodel in would not trust a 17.00 p/HR worker. Maybe trimming trees and stuff but for any updated bathroom you might want to plan in spending a little more $$$. Just a thought.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am a remodel contractor and have been blessed with a good crew but I feel your pain. Its hard to find anyone that wants to work. I will say this, if you are wanting a bathroom remodel in would not trust a 17.00 p/HR worker. Maybe trimming trees and stuff but for any updated bathroom you might want to plan in spending a little more $$$. Just a thought.
The gentleman looking for work at $17 was just for tree trimming/cutting and some fence repair. We had a bathroom redone this year and the quote was for the job, not per hour, which makes sense.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here’s another one for us old “cheapskate”( as I was called), do it yourselfers. Had a puddle of sewage in the yard, paid $125 for a recommended septic guy to come out. He poked and prodded, checked my clean out, and determined I had a leak somewhere that was most likely keeping the tank full. I asked him if he could show me where my tube was above the puddle. Now I put it off due to time and the fact that digging in poop is the worst job I’ve done as a homeowner. But today I bit the bullet, probably spent 2 hours total, found a clean out I had no idea I had, and with a bit of snaking, had all working promptly. Wonder what I just saved myself? I’m guessing at least $500.

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s another one for us old “cheapskate”( as I was called), do it yourselfers. Had a puddle of sewage in the yard, paid $125 for a recommended septic guy to come out. He poked and prodded, checked my clean out, and determined I had a leak somewhere that was most likely keeping the tank full. I asked him if he could show me where my tube was above the puddle. Now I put it off due to time and the fact that digging in poop is the worst job I’ve done as a homeowner. But today I bit the bullet, probably spent 2 hours total, found a clean out I had no idea I had, and with a bit of snaking, had all working promptly. Wonder what I just saved myself? I’m guessing at least $500.
Good job! Yeah you definitely saved yourself a chunk

To be clear though, when I used the term cheapskates I was actually referring to other older customers I’ve delt with and prefaced its use by saying I wasn’t intending to insult you. I don’t know you lol

I’ll be the same way when I get older I’m sure. Doing everything I can myself. I don’t hire much of anything out right now either. I probably couldn’t afford to even if a wanted to.

In this business us normal guys are the worst customers. My favorite customers are wealthy and don’t lift a finger around their properties lol

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Good job! Yeah you definitely saved yourself a chunk

To be clear though, when I used the term cheapskates I was actually referring to other older customers I’ve delt with and prefaced its use by saying I wasn’t intending to insult you. I don’t know you lol

I’ll be the same way when I get older I’m sure. Doing everything I can myself. I don’t hire much of anything out right now either. I probably couldn’t afford to even if a wanted to.

In this business us normal guys are the worst customers. My favorite customers are wealthy and don’t lift a finger around their properties lol
I admit, I’m both old and frugal (nicer word for cheapskate). Which is why I get a bit perturbed when I know a job can be done reasonably easy in a few hours, but instead we get $500 quotes for them, or even higher. Things just seem a bit out of wack right now.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I remind myself often that I’m glad I didn’t sell my kids off. They’ve repaid my investment many times over by fixing my broken crap. Sometimes that requires me feeding them, but that’s cheap because it also means I get to see them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom