Happy Thanksgiving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Despite all the things wrong in our world and our beloved USA, we DO have an awful lot to be thankful for; so happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your friends and families!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed and would like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to those serving in our Military and not able to be with their families. God Bless them all.

Word. Although I will add that some of the best Thanksgivings I ever had were those I spent in various places around the world. People of diverse backgrounds and experiences, but sharing a common spirit, coming together on one day to celebrate even if it was around a brown MRE bag...LOL. I've had people I barely knew open their homes and businesses to me and treat me like family....I think that's a big part of the spirit of Thanksgiving.

If I might: One Thanksgiving, back in 1999, I was assigned to a traveling Vice Presidential detail. Al Gore was going home to Carthage TN to spend T-day at home. We pulled the trip off, got him settled at home a day or two before Thanksgiving and went back to a motel near the highway to wait for any pop-up motorcades and/or the trip home. No one on the VP's staff, or our own leadership made any arrangements and we had no kitchenettes in the motel. There was a small country restaurant across the street (not much else besides a McDonald's and a gas station) were we ate a couple times but it was going to be closed for the holiday.

When the owner of the restaurant found out that a not-small group of us were going to be throwing down McDonald's for Thanksgiving he said "Oh no you're not". He moved his family celebration to the restaurant and invited all of us. He cooked all the usual dishes, had a margarita machine going and football on the big screen. When it was time to retire, he sent us all back across the street with plates of leftovers.

That's some Thanksgiving right there! So if you ever pass Exit 258 off of I-40 in Tennessee....stop by the Timberloft and pay it back for me.

Bigman405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Word. Although I will add that some of the best Thanksgivings I ever had were those I spent in various places around the world. People of diverse backgrounds and experiences, but sharing a common spirit, coming together on one day to celebrate even if it was around a brown MRE bag...LOL. I've had people I barely knew open their homes and businesses to me and treat me like family....I think that's a big part of the spirit of Thanksgiving.

If I might: One Thanksgiving, back in 1999, I was assigned to a traveling Vice Presidential detail. Al Gore was going home to Carthage TN to spend T-day at home. We pulled the trip off, got him settled at home a day or two before Thanksgiving and went back to a motel near the highway to wait for any pop-up motorcades and/or the trip home. No one on the VP's staff, or our own leadership made any arrangements and we had no kitchenettes in the motel. There was a small country restaurant across the street (not much else besides a McDonald's and a gas station) were we ate a couple times but it was going to be closed for the holiday.

When the owner of the restaurant found out that a not-small group of us were going to be throwing down McDonald's for Thanksgiving he said "Oh no you're not". He moved his family celebration to the restaurant and invited all of us. He cooked all the usual dishes, had a margarita machine going and football on the big screen. When it was time to retire, he sent us all back across the street with plates of leftovers.

That's some Thanksgiving right there! So if you ever pass Exit 258 off of I-40 in Tennessee....stop by the Timberloft and pay it back for me.

That's awesome. I'm going to roll thru Tennessee one year on a bike ride to the dragons tail in North Carolina.

Latest posts

Top Bottom