Have you ever had a good "boss"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only ever fired 1 man. The upper management always gave me the black sheep and told me "we know you'll make em a good hand and work or fire em".
That kinda sucked but it was true, only 1 took advantage of me every chance he got while on probation and we were hunting buddies before he hired on. Firing a good friend was tough as nails but he earned it, fair and square and upper management saw it playing out so I could not give him another inch.
Did you stay friends? Did he just suck at his job or was his attitude and work ethic poor? One different decision and it's possible you could have been my boss! That's funny.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you stay friends? Did he just suck at his job or was his attitude and work ethic poor? One different decision and it's possible you could have been my boss! That's funny.
Never saw him again. His work ethic sucked. My first day with him, i quoted probation policy. For 1, you don't ask for leave unless your honestly sick and then in return I need a Dr note.
A month into his probation he asked for vacation (he only had earned 8 hours) to go to Kansas city for a football game on Sunday. He said he promised to be in by noon on Monday.
I hesitantly approved and he didnt show up till Tuesday.
Then he pulled the same schit again and I reprimanded him for even asking.
He always showed up late and would set at his desk for.an hour writing checks to pay bills or balance his checkbook.
No matter what i said to this dumb F***, he.thought he was home free.
2 weeks before his probation was up, I was called into the office and asked about him. My response, "if I was paying his salary, I'd fire him today".
They said then, do it.
Damnit that was a rock and a.hard spot.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never saw him again. His work ethic sucked. My first day with him, i quoted probation policy. For 1, you don't ask for leave unless your honestly sick and then in return I need a Dr note.
A month into his probation he asked for vacation (he only had earned 8 hours) to go to Kansas city for a football game on Sunday. He said he promised to be in by noon on Monday.
I hesitantly approved and he didnt show up till Tuesday.
Then he pulled the same schit again and I reprimanded him for even asking.
He always showed up late and would set at his desk for.an hour writing checks to pay bills or balance his checkbook.
No matter what i said to this dumb F***, he.thought he was home free.
2 weeks before his probation was up, I was called into the office and asked about him. My response, "if I was paying his salary, I'd fire him today".
They said then, do it.
Damnit that was a rock and a.hard spot.
Dang that's rough. I've had a good friend as a boss at an oil and gas company and it was more pressure. If I didn't do everything right it would look bad for him. But he got me the job I have currently. Were you surprised by his actions or in retrospect did you see things in him as friends that made you think he might not get it done? I ask these questions because I'll have to move into management soon and don't want any of that.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang that's rough. I've had a good friend as a boss at an oil and gas company and it was more pressure. If I didn't do everything right it would look bad for him. But he got me the job I have currently. Were you surprised by his actions or in retrospect did you see things in him as friends that made you think he might not get it done? I ask these questions because I'll have to move into management soon and don't want any of that.
I mean, I helped him get the job but, DID NOT expect them to assign him to me over 4 other unit supervisors. It was very awkward and I didn't really think he would try and take advantage but I myself was a new supervisor and I guess nieve about it. All along I knew big brother was watching.
This guy was a good friend and we went bow hunting and to bow competitions together for 6-8 years before this.
The thing one must know, if your a friend or relative of the boss, you must leave that hat at the door when you walk into work, and he didn't get that. I told him those exact words.
I tried to save his arse but he was just not having it until I gave it to him permanently.
I'd never work for a relative and a friend would be a long thought first.
I don't know if that answers you question completely but.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several bosses in my many years and only one, although he respected me and my decisions, he was a bit of a whimp. But he meant well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Those that take advantage will always exist. When it is a friend, thinking you will let it slide; they are not a friend and deserve to be fired or it may cost you your job. You try and talk to them, but if they won't listen, embrace the suck.

I hired a receptionist, daughter of a good friend. First 2 weeks went good, then I caught her playing Solitaire on the computer. Told her not to do it again.
Couple of days later, caught her again. She claimed she was taking a break. Told her she was fired, if done again.

She turned her monitor to be able to watch my office door. My boss was coming in from Dallas on Friday. I didn't mention it. She had her back to front door. Boss walked up to counter, she continued playing. He walked back to my office. She sealed her own fate. I didn't feel bad, even with her tears, when leaving.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, I helped him get the job but, DID NOT expect them to assign him to me over 4 other unit supervisors. It was very awkward and I didn't really think he would try and take advantage but I myself was a new supervisor and I guess nieve about it. All along I knew big brother was watching.
This guy was a good friend and we went bow hunting and to bow competitions together for 6-8 years before this.
The thing one must know, if your a friend or relative of the boss, you must leave that hat at the door when you walk into work, and he didn't get that. I told him those exact words.
I tried to save his arse but he was just not having it until I gave it to him permanently.
I'd never work for a relative and a friend would be a long thought first.
I don't know if that answers you question completely but.
It does answer my question. Thank you. Business is business. A guy can be a friend but that doesn't mean he won't make your life hell if you hire him.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does answer my question. Thank you. Business is business. A guy can be a friend but that doesn't mean he won't make your life hell if you hire him.
I've had other friends that I made over my career. We were just co workers together on the same level. We went for a.couple beers after work or hung out on a Saturday for football. When one of us became the others boss (which happened alot over 32 years) we both know, the buddy.hat stays in the truck.
That
Is
A MUST.
Bret didn't get it though

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yep, I always advised the supervisors under me to be friendly to all their people --- just don't be friends.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had other friends that I made over my career. We were just co workers together on the same level. We went for a.couple beers after work or hung out on a Saturday for football. When one of us became the others boss (which happened alot over 32 years) we both know, the buddy.hat stays in the truck.
That
Is
A MUST.
Bret didn't get it though
It's true. My buddy could say anything at all and it was yes sir. If you don't understand that, lose a friend that helped you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom