Have you ever had a good "boss"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I always advised the supervisors under me to be friendly to all their people --- just don't be friends.

Well I've been friends with everyone for decades. But we just tried to out perform each other and support the other in any position. That attitude does get me in trouble somewhat now though. Not everyone is a team player.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's true. My buddy could say anything at all and it was yes sir. If you don't understand that, lose a friend that helped you.
I didnt expect anyone to say yes sir, just nod and go do the work in my fashion (which they knew my fashion and time schedule). Nothing hard about it unless your a complete screw up after me training you with my knowledge for several months. And if I gave em something new, I went over it in detail until they said they were comfortable to do it.
And they knew my door was always open and I wanted them asking questions instead of guessing.
It's not rocket science on how to learn and advance.
Make a.solid effort, ask questions and the rest comes if you smart.
Hell this thread is giving me PTSD from working with a few idiots lol

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt expect anyone to say yes sir, just nod and go do the work in my fashion (which they knew my fashion and time schedule). Nothing hard about it unless your a complete screw up after me training you with my knowledge for several months. And if I gave em something new, I went over it in detail until they said they were comfortable to do it.
And they knew my door was always open and I wanted them asking questions instead of guessing.
It's not rocket science on how to learn and advance.
Make a.solid effort, ask questions and the rest comes if you smart.
Hell this thread is giving me PTSD from working with a few idiots lol
Heck me too. One engineer that was my supervisor.. a good friend was telling me about a nightmare engineer his company had to work with. He was getting sued. So they had to turn over all their communications. We talked for hours about. Finally I asked his name. My old supervisor. Imagine that.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240521-183417~2.png

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had to manage people at several different jobs. Unfortunately I’ve had to fire people through the years. I’ve fired friends and family, right along with everyone else. For me, it came down to this: if they couldn’t perform the work in an acceptable way, I had to respect all the other co-workers enough to get rid of the weak link. Do not cause work for all your coworkers. If someone is making life difficult for the other employees, it’s the job of management to fix it. If the person is family or a friend doesn’t matter, they’re making their own decision to perform poorly at their job & they can reap the consequences. I’ve said as much when I fired them. I would love for it to work out, but the way they’ve chosen to perform their job didn’t allow that to happen. Not once has it ever been a surprise to them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the early '70's, I managed a Braum's store in Midwest City for about 6 months. We hired a lot of teenagers to work evening shifts, and I had one young man that just kept goofing off instead of doing his job. So, I fired him. A couple of weeks later, he came back asking for his job back, and since I hadn't replaced him yet, I told him I would rehire him, but he was going to get to do all the crappy jobs. He was happy to get the job back.

Fast forward roughly 25 years and I was managing a "major electronic retail store" in south OKC. One day this guy comes in and in visiting with me a bit and seeing my name tag, he asked if I had ever managed a Braum's store. It turned out that he was the young man that I had fired, and he thanked me for the lesson he got from that experience. He said that he had made it through college easier because of that lesson.

Frankly, I was very surprised, but also very pleased that I was able to help him, even though I hadn't considered the rehire as "helping."

Latest posts

Top Bottom