Have you seen any antlers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
got this picture from a camera today. i was hoping to get a for sure date for when they were all off, but the feeder went empty a few days after this pic. you can see scabs on the left one.
is there any explination as for which ones lose antlers first? older, healthier, more testosterone, etc.?

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can see scabs on the left one.
is there any explination as for which ones lose antlers first? older, healthier, more testosterone, etc.?

I've kind of wondered what triggers some to shed earlier than others as well.
Last year on some trail cam pics, I had one in Dec that had an obvious injury around the spine just in front of the back legs, like he had been shot at, but it was high enough to not take out the spine. Over a couple of days of pics he lost one and then the other. I wondered if the injury got him to shed in Dec?

I'm off tomorrow, and it sounds like the temps will be in the 50's so, might take the 3 wheeler out and see if there is anything to be found. Still kind of early still, but you never know and it sounds like a good excuse to get some riding time on the ATV:D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 of us walked for 6 hours today looking for sheds, and found nothing. Didn't even jump anything save for a lone cottontail.

Still nice to get out though. Better than sitting around all day.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had about 10 cross the road while I was feeding cattle yesterday. 8 were does the other 2 were bucks, and one of the only had one side of his rack left.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got out at noon with the 3 wheeler, and rode fence rows, creek banks, followed deer trails through brush, and just rode around for 5 hours. It was sure nice out with just a light breeze, and a light jacket.
Did not find anything, but a young of the year buck skull that was probably from last year. I'm suprised the rodents didn't eat it all up. they got most of the antlers but the skull was intact. Still a little early maybe, but it didn't matter. I did spook up several slick heads that were seen at a distance.
Maybe wait another two weeks, and go again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom