HB2170 Advances: Makes Assisted Opening Knives Clearly Legal to Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Props to Rep. Echols, the author of current Oklahoma HB 2170, which eliminates the phrase "spring type knife" from 21 O.S. 1272 (defining the weapons that are prohibited to carry), and thereby eliminates a long-standing ambiguity about whether Oklahoma law prohibits carrying such common assisted-opening knives as the Kershaw Blur, Kershaw Leek, the ZT knives, Benchmade Barrage, and countless others. True switchblades (as defined under the federal Switchblade Knife Act) will remain covered by section 1272.

Assisted opening knives are unquestionably in "common use" for legitimate purposes under D.C. v. Heller and thus should be recognized as constitutionally protected arms. Which this bill in effect does, by decriminalizing carrying them.

HB 2170 passed the House of Representatives in February by a resounding 97-1 vote and is now in the Senate. You might wish to call your state Senators and urge them to request that it be brought to the Senate floor and passed.

PS: I know some people already carry assisted openers. There is a whole longstanding discussion in the stickied "knife carry" thread under the Self Defense and Handgun Carry subforum about this issue, so no need to re-hash it here. Suffice to say, a lot of thoughtful people have worried that the vague "spring type knife" clause covers assisted opening knives; some members of this forum have long refused to carry AOs for this reason; and at least one forum member posted a report of being physically detained and suspected by an Oklahoma LEO in part for having an AO knife. This bill, once enacted, will clear up the problems in this area.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is silly? So now "assisted opening" knives are defensive weapons, but a switchblade is still offensive? What about balisongs and fixed blades? That whole section is retarded and needs to be cut out with a hatchet, not a scalpel.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an assisted opening knife and did. Not know it was illegal to carry. I carry it all the time. Why in the world does Walmart and academy sale them if they are illegal?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why in the world does Walmart and academy sale them if they are illegal?

I've asked that question at gun shows, flea markets and Academy.

The answer is always the same. It is legal for them to sell them. Not their problem that it may or may not be illegal for you to carry them.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 AO Kershaw’s I bought at Wal-Mart. They were the "ONLY" ones they had marked "made in USA".

I thought what made them lawful in OK at least was the fact that they had nothing which “opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife" so AO was fine since it is opened by the blade alone.

Clearly defining it is good though so nobody gets nailed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom