HB2170 Advances: Makes Assisted Opening Knives Clearly Legal to Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So while an ordinary AO knife like a Kershaw Speedsafe doesn't fall under the switchblade definition you quoted, it might still be illegal to carry if it's deemed a "spring type knife." That category might be broader than a true switchblade. No one knows exactly what a "spring type knife" is. But a Kershaw Speedsafe is certainly a knife with a spring mechanism that moves the blade (a torsion bar is a flat spring), so ...
AO knives didn't exist (at least they were not commonly available) when the legislation was drafted, but there used to be knives that would launch their blades by means of a spring or compressed gas (well, at least in Hollyweird). I'm guessing that is what they were trying to prohibit, but you're right, it's not a particularly well-defined type of knife.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea. What would you like to see? Repeal of all knife carry restrictions is one answer.

If that wasn't on the table, and you had to prioritize, what's most important? Legalizing switchblades? Removing the vague prohibition on carrying "offensive weapon"? Specifying that any knife below a certain blade length is automatically legal to carry? (Texas allows all single bladed knives under 5.5" blade, which includes some rather formidable knives. But lots of states use smaller limits, such as 4" or 3".)

Eliminating all knife carry restrictions on handgun carry permit holders?

A statewide knife preemption law to eliminate local and municipal restrictions?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea. What would you like to see? Repeal of all knife carry restrictions is one answer.

I consider knives/swords/etc to be arms, and the right to keep and bear them should not be infringed. If I feel the need to walk down the street with a katana or a crossbow or an AR slung on my back, by God, I should be able to.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If that wasn't on the table, and you had to prioritize, what's most important? Legalizing switchblades? Removing the vague prohibition on carrying "offensive weapon"? Specifying that any knife below a certain blade length is automatically legal to carry? (Texas allows all single bladed knives under 5.5" blade, which includes some rather formidable knives. But lots of states use smaller limits, such as 4" or 3".)

Eliminating all knife carry restrictions on handgun carry permit holders?

A statewide knife preemption law to eliminate local and municipal restrictions?

Yes
.Yes
.and Yes
.you know the funny thing is , box knives are not even mentioned....1 1/4" razer blade=MAX damage
.but the "offensive weapon" is the one that Really galls me...

Latest posts

Top Bottom