HDR image 1st try--HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you process your HDR Images?

• Total voters

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my 500 post, I thought Id share a pretty picture to make up for all the zombie talk and random thread hijacks and mindless poo flinging in the general forums

ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y5_seedy_2ndtry.jpg

This was my 1st time playing around with High Dynamic Range (HDR) image.** Constructive critisism is welcome.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't really strike me as HDR. Kinda just looks like a normal picture, to be honest. Might need more HDRing. How many exposures did you use to make it?

Definitely try it w/ a landscape or sunset sometime.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a ton of ways to do HDRs and you did a good job at one of them. If I processed it it would be tailored to the way I like it, which is a bit grittier, with a tad more shadow detail, and a tad less saturation in the shadows. I also would've brought the highlights down slightly. Your version looks more natural and smooth than mine would've.

What exposure brackets did you use?

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I was going for a somewhat natural HDR, instead of the super saturated "obviosly hdr" type image. I was shooting in low light and varied the shutter spped instead of EV. Is there a way to make my d200 auto bracket and take mutiple photos automatically? I used only 4 photos with exposures from (IIRC) 6s, 10s, 14s and 30s. Ill post resized jpegs of the original images with exif intact when I get home tonight.

I want to try this technique on some architecure. I'm just now learning how to create these kind of images and I want to play around with it some more. I didn't really spend a lot of time on the shot composition as I just wanted to have images to try HDR with. Ill try something a bit more "typical HDR" (with all the crazy colors) soon too. My goal on using HDR here was to create a fairly realistic image that looked better than 1 shot by itself could. When you see the 4 original images, it will be a bit clearer as to why I chose HDR. I'm not really sure about this technique for a weapons photo as I can't think of a reason or composition that would be suitable... I'm also thinking about playing with usinf flashlights on one of the "brightest" (longest exposure) to see what kind of effects I can create.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok.. I've taken Mh's suggestions and thought them through, and also realized that the color temp is WAY off in that pic... I'm going to re-process that shot. A couple of new images are already in the works and I should have them up later tonight (insomnia sucks)

If any one would like to "play along" I would be willing to share the RAW files, shoot me a PM with your email.

More images real soon!

...maybe even a special one just for Teeeroy

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good. Use HDR program and do it poor man's style by adjusting your layers on 3 pictures?

I've taken several outdoor HDR shots, but the natural lighting was never the right kind (dusk or dawn shots look better than midday). Been meaning to do some of christmas lights (HDR and long exposure) but when I slapped the dust off my nikon I discovered I have a problem with my shutter. :( (Shutter sticks half-way through the shot and I get a ERR, only way to release the shutter is to turn the camera off or hit the shutter button again.)

Guess Ill be making a trip to Epperson to have it fixed.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bummer on the shutter WMD :(

I think it would be fun to turn this thread into "how to" HDR.

Ill have some new images including a rework of my "1st try" later tonight.

The second shot is a compilation of 8 shots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom