Helio Hog Hunting !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be really bad guy, just to stir the pot. Love animals, been in ag nearly all my life. I understand where y'all that are against against lettin em lay come from. It seems like a waste, but as some of these other guys that live in infested areas can vouch to, you can't even give away meat sometimes. You want a pig that's been sittin on the flatbed for 6 hours in 100 weather? (the answer is no!) I will shoot at every pig I see. Nearly every one will lay or get drug to a ditch. I don't have time to track down a taker every time I kill a pig. Don't have time to clean it, and don't have time to fill in holes in hay meadows that have been rooted up by pigs. I see no difference between this and shooting a coyote, crow, possum, or any other game that has a season, but people don't consume. They are a nuisance, disease carrying, destructive animal. A target of opportunity at all times. The problem isn't that land owners can't find people to hunt their hogs. Everybody wants a piece of that. But it isn't worth opening it up to a bunch of unknowns. Hunting isn't a very effective means of controlling the population, so it is just as easy for a landowner to shoot them on site, without the liabilities of having others there to do the same thing. That's my .02

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Dennis. I was hoping one of you guys would post a link like that...

This I can easily understand and is where I can see "mass extermination" taking place...

The only thing that bothers me though, and was the point of my other post, is when all the HEALTHY hogs are shot and are just left to rot...

I have a standing invitation to a long-range hog shoot in Texas and I was assured that ALL HEALTHY HOGS that are shot, will be processed and the meat given to families that need it. This shoot, I am very much looking forward too....

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who cares if they are left to rot! Yote gotta eat to....
Do you eat a mouse caught in a trap at your house? Hog is a worse problem to have by far!
Do you yote hunt? You eat them????
They are invasive and need to be killed out and that's all there is to it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

A friend of mine did the helicopter hunt a couple of years ago. The pilot gives out some very strict rules, like, "If I see a gun barrel horizontal or higher, I land, you get out, and I go home." Seems the pilots aren't fond of someone shooting holes in their rotor blades. Anyway, he's itching to go do it again.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my first one during my last deer hunt. Crossbow at 20 feet. I carefully dressed it and carried it all out. Cooked some off of the backstrap area and threw it all away. Worst tasting meat I ever ate. DO NOT TRY TO EAT THE BOAR HOGS1

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my first one during my last deer hunt. Crossbow at 20 feet. I carefully dressed it and carried it all out. Cooked some off of the backstrap area and threw it all away. Worst tasting meat I ever ate. DO NOT TRY TO EAT THE BOAR HOGS1
I have several people that say otherwise. Did you soak your meat in any iced salt water to remove blood? How big was this boar? Did it stink really bad when processing?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've eaten dozens of wild hogs - some boars over 200 lbs. The meat was tougher on the older pigs, but never had any that tasted bad. I've heard folks say they don't like a buck deer either, but I never had a problem with that, other than toughness.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did not soak in iced salt water, beginners ignorance. It did have a very strong smell when I was cleaning the pig. Very musky. We raised a few pigs when I was younger, always cut the males to keep them from developing that smell and taste.

I'll try the soaking on the next one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom