Feral hog poison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It definitely happens. To what extent, I don't know. And I don't have a clue how you'd objectively determine the economic costs vs the hog damage. I'm sure there have been studies that will answer some of those questions.

As far as pets not being someone else's problem, sure. I agree it's up to the pet owner to care for their pets. But, as usual, it's not that simple.

I live in a rural area on an acreage. If a poisoned animal dies on my property, in a location where my pets might get into it, now your poisoned hog could potentially cause me loss thru no fault of my own. Or maybe a livestock guardian dog gets into a poisoned animal while on it's property.

Things don't generally occur in a vacuum.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y’all do realize that there are poisons made that aren’t fatal to secondary consumers, right?!? :scratch:
They’ve been used in rodent control programs around chicken farms for at least 25 years, and if I remember right from the meeting I went to, the pig poison (at that time) was supposed to be one of them.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, it’s people like this^^^that make people do things like this v v v.

For the record, I don’t have a pig problem either on my Oklahoma or Texas places, but I do have coyote and coon problems. There are two local guys in Oklahoma that have unlimited access to my place any time they want to coyote hunt or trap coons, but they always text me to let me know they’re going.
I tried to be a good neighbor to my outfitter neighbor by giving him access to the river when all the other water was froze over, but he’ll never be welcome back on my place for any reason.
I'm not sure how I should take your reply..."PEOPLE LIKE THIS" I was just saying that I/we can come help rid your property of varmints. I enjoy going out and PLINKING if that is the right wording. Four of us left Arizona and drove 800 & 1,000 miles to rid several places in Colorado of Prairie Dogs. we shot for three days. We brough out all of our brass, and even some trash that either blown in, or someone else left We are stewards of the property we shoot in. Just saying... we enjoy the challenge!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I should take your reply..."PEOPLE LIKE THIS" I was just saying that I/we can come help rid your property of varmints. I enjoy going out and PLINKING if that is the right wording. Four of us left Arizona and drove 800 & 1,000 miles to rid several places in Colorado of Prairie Dogs. we shot for three days. We brough out all of our brass, and even some trash that either blown in, or someone else left We are stewards of the property we shoot in. Just saying... we enjoy the challenge!
Are you saying that when you left the places you shot prairie dogs in Colorado that there weren’t any more on those properties…as in none?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that long ago a "poison" was proposed in Texas and the uproar from opposition stopped it in its tracks. Arguments included unsafe meat, death to scavengers, dangerous to livestock/pets a multitude of other excuses.

Sodium Nitrite is fatal to hogs at significantly lower levels than would cause harm to other mammals. Sodium Nitrite quickly metabolizes in the body and will deteriorate quickly in the environment. It prevents the blood from carrying oxygen.

Nay sayers quickly jumped on board with opponents pushing false information. Feral swine control with sodium nitrite products was voted down because of this.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from a poison of any flavor, we are not going to get a handle on the wild hogs. I’ve been in meetings where the “experts” say we need to reduce the herd and keep it at 70% to even get a handle on them. It ain’t happening!!

I work in ag and my office rents a really effective hog trap, between my last two customers we’re right at 100 head trapped and it is still a losing situation.

I own land and those suckers have torn my Bermuda grass up and it’s got a lot of wallows, so I would welcome a shot at some type of poison, cause lead poisoning isn’t helping.

I’ve read quite a bit about the Sodium Nitrite and it’s got great potential, will there be some non target animals that die? Quite possible, but to me, that’ll offset the damages hogs do to crops, pastures and range land. But like OkBassin said, it dissipates pretty quickly or what retrieverman said about the poison used around chicken farms, it’s out there but the big wigs won’t put it out there for us to try.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying that when you left the places you shot prairie dogs in Colorado that there weren’t any more on those properties…as in none?
I'm saying we shot all the dogs from sun up to sun down at each PD Town we were at. Four of us. I used my .17 HMR out to around 200 yards or better. As it was sighted in for Silhouette Shooting here at home for 235 Yards. Some of the others were popping them at 300 plus with the 22:250. or the 223/556 and .243. Guessing between the 4 of us, we took out 300 Dogs. And 4 Jack Rabbits that happen in.
I'll say again. If you have a PD problem, and have LOTS, I / We will entertain to come have some fun ridding all we can. I work i in a gun store, and I reload. I have no shortage of ammo.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pigs Gone Wild?
NOT your worst enemy.
GOVERNMENT Gone Wild is FAR worse.
Far FAr FAR WORSE.
(Who d'ya think dreams up & perpetuates these Nightmares?

I'd like Fe(de)ral Hog Poison- (as in 'Bills'-payable by US-& chock full of 'Pork')
to END.

Who wants 'Free' poisoned meat running wild for the taking?
Or a toxic Gvmt., running wild, taking everything?

Yup. Whenever the Gvmt. creates a new problem, or allows a new one to get worse-
it only gets worse for the 'Governed'.
According to them, that'd be us.
But don't worry kids- THEY got a solution.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a few people willing to come shoot pigs. I know there would need to be some vetting, but seems like it should be possible to work out something where everyone wins.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't have a pig problem.

When we have a pig problem, farmers will be paying folks to shoot pigs. Today, folks pay to shoot pigs.

Personally I don't farm, or raise cows. I keep feeders running to provide corn year round for the pigs when they decide to show up.

Neighbor down the creek traps them and hunts at night. It seems effective, as since he started doing this I see few pigs regularly. I like the dude, but I do hope some situation befalls him that keeps him from doing this so much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom