Feral hog poison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No confusion here. I know exactly who I have spoke with. It was land owners not professional outfitters. 20-30 trespass fees over the course of a year at $500+ per person…cash
It’s no wonder there is no real desire to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. I’m ok with it either way.
So you’re saying landowners are getting $500 per hog killed or per person they let on their places?

If so, what part of the state is this, because no one I’ve heard of would ever pay $500/hog or per person.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several ways to rid you of hogs and Prairie Dogs. .22 Cal. .22 WMR, .17 HMR, 223, 22:250, 556/223, 30:30, etc. I'd be happy to come with a couple of buddies and rid them for you at no charge.
I have seen places where they let people com and shoot all they want and they have still got the problems with the dogs and hogs. Other places that trap with the best trap systems and month later they have hogs again. Prairie dogs the best I have seen is to dope the hole with carbon or use the big vacuum trucks like the have in the Dakotas. I enjoy going and shooting the varmints as much as any, it is just not the answer to the problem.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not call you a bleeding heart, if you are feeling guilty, so be it. You made me out to be old in my thoughts once before, so do not talk about how others say things. If you do not agree in the use of poison, stop with bug sprays, weed sprays and maybe even bullets, they are doing the same thing, eliminating problems.

If you read and understand what I wrote I didn't say you called me, specifically, a bleeding heart. I stated I wasn't one and asked why it's necessary to call anyone a bleeding heart simply because they disagree with you. So, no, I'm not feeling guilty because you don't understand what I wrote.

Furthermore, I didn't say I disagreed with all poisons, now did I? I was referring to the use of poisons on wild hogs where the chance of cross contamination to other, harmless animals is present.

I'd really like to hear how a bullet poses the same threat. I suppose a missed shot or a pass-thru shot of a hog could possibly kill something else. But in that case the shooter likely didn't do his/her job of verifying what's beyond the target. My guess is it would be pretty hard for a bullet fired into a hog to kill a raptor or other scavenger that chooses to eat the carrion a few days later like poisons would.

Not only that, but I didn't say I was opposed to culling wild hogs that are damaging property. Only that using poisons doesn't seem like the best way to approach the hog problem.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rather than poisons, is it possible to set bait with contraceptives? This was done with beavers in Colorado was pretty effective over time. I don't know what kind of issues that might have for other animals but it would have to be safer than poisons.
They've done that will flies as well, maybe that was genetic? I can't remember. Since anything can be considered a "poison" in large quantities, they should try dragging out thalidamide again and see if it causes the sow's litter to fail. I'd think there would be lots of options, confiscated fentanyl for example even lol.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With some poison deaths, nothing will feed on the carcass. I know far a fact that they will not feed on drug overdose victims, so bait them with fentanyl. Gets rid of 2 problems. If you do not want your loved pets to get poisoned, do not let them run loose!
Exactly.. my pet should not be your problem.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was referring to the use of poisons on wild hogs where the chance of cross contamination to other, harmless animals is present.
Here’s the question about that. How much of this is a theoretical problem and how much of it is a practical problem? Ok, in theory, the poison could become concentrated and be a problem for carrion eaters, but does it actually happen? And if it does happen, how often does it happen, and does that offset the economic damage that these feral hogs are doing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom