Help with my 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I took the Para-Ordnance 1911 to the range that my dad gave me today. It is a double stack compact that has never been shot before. I cleaned it up and made sure it was range ready.

Got to the range and fired 100 target rounds without one incident. Then I loaded in some Winchster PDX1 rounds. I only fired 2 rounds and then the gun jammed. Round looked like it had made it up the ramp but failed to load into the chamber and was jammed with the round point up lodged into the top of the chamber.

I cleared that round and fired one more round and on the next cycle same result with the round ending up lodged agaist the top of the chamber.

Anyone got any suggestions as to a way to resolve this. I really wanted to carry this weapon but I am not going to take a chance with the FTL issues.

I dont know if it is a ammo issue as far as brand or just a issue with JHP in general.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do I need to knife edge the bottom part of the ramp to some degree along with polishing the ramp? Would it help to knock the flat edge off of the top of the barrell as well?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a Dremel with a bit of polishing compound until it looks like glass. That's all you need.

Eff no! No dremel.

And you also DON'T need it to shine like a mirror.

The angle built into the ramp is important, and not to be messed with. More-over, the edge, where the cradle meets the frame ramp (wait... is this a ramped or non-ramped barrel?), MUST be sharp, you do not want to round that edge over. Trust me, you do that, you're SOL for the most part.

The thing people need to understand is that the nose of the bullet does NOT actually ride up the ramp and into the chamber... it skips off of it, and glances into the chamber, so all you really need to do is remove any large horizontal machine marks... but it doesn't need to be a mirror.

Also, is this a steel frame?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take it to Barry. A Para that wouldn't run right was the beginning of his journey.

+10 on this.

Also, IF you insist on polishing your ramp... do NOT use a mechanical device, just pick up a dowel and wrap some sand paper around it, clamp the frame in a vice and match the angle of the ramp with the dowel. Start around 320 or so, but again, don't go crazy... and go up to about 800 or more... I usually take mine to about 1200, but that's really not necessary.

If you round off that top edge, the bullet will nosedive into the barrel ramp, pushing the barrel forward and causing a jam.

Latest posts

Top Bottom