Help with my 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, the FTF SOUNDS (if the round is being lodged nose up into the TOP of the chamber as described) like a bolt over base malfunction, a mistiming between the slide and mag, which has more to do with spring rate or crap mags than feed ramps.

I HIGHLY recommend you have a smith look at it before polishing ANYTHING.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a steel frame compact gun. The ramp is built into the barrell just like a Glock or S&W MP series gun.

I will try the polish first, I have a dremel and also have the proper polishing pads (not sand paper drums or stone, actual cotton pads) for it along with some metal polish that I use on the wheels on my motorcycle.

I will try to use some 2000grit wet sand and pencil like suggested and get it smoothed over first, then just lightly polish the feed ramp. Then head to the range and report back.

Thing is it was only the JHP that were having issues, the target rounds feed flawlessly and I fired all 100 rounds of them with no issues but then had 4 FTF with the JHP stuff so it leads me to believe that it is the nose of the round causing the issue possibly.

Thanks for the info and help, I will look into it this week and report back.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a steel frame compact gun. The ramp is built into the barrell just like a Glock or S&W MP series gun.

I will try the polish first, I have a dremel and also have the proper polishing pads (not sand paper drums or stone, actual cotton pads) for it along with some metal polish that I use on the wheels on my motorcycle.

I will try to use some 2000grit wet sand and pencil like suggested and get it smoothed over first, then just lightly polish the feed ramp. Then head to the range and report back.

Thing is it was only the JHP that were having issues, the target rounds feed flawlessly and I fired all 100 rounds of them with no issues but then had 4 FTF with the JHP stuff so it leads me to believe that it is the nose of the round causing the issue possibly.

Thanks for the info and help, I will look into it this week and report back.

I still highly recommend that you not break the dremel out. If you have 2000 grit emory paper, chances are you have some 320 and up. Start around 320 and work your way up to about 800, maybe a 1000 or so.

Again... only if you just have a need to polish something, and I wouldn't use a pencil, unless it is completely round and wide enough to closely match the contour of the ramp... for .45, I believe mine is a 3/8" dowel.

Again x2... the bullet does NOT slide up the ramp, it glances off of it, then into the chamber.

Again though, if you really want help diagnosing your malfunction, you have got to post a picture of it, whether you recreate it or snap a picture of it while you're at the range.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can try to recreate it, it looked the same each time. When it happend the primer end would be lodged on top of the next round in the magazine and I would not be able to pull the slide back to clear the failed round. I had to drop the mag then pull the slide back to get the round to clear.

Those rounds fired fine when I set them aside, just didnt load into the chamber.

This gun is running the factory mags as well, it seems from my reseach so far not one makes mags for the Para or they are extremely hard to find. Kings Pawn said they almost gave a Para compact away as they could not get any mags for it and no one was interested in it.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I did it tonight, went to town on the feed ramp.

Wait for it...

Almost there....

No I did not mess it up like posted in the above pictures. I took my time and used some 600 grit paper with a drum made out of heater hose. Then moved to 2000 grit paper and finished it off with Mothers Billet metal polish on my dremel pad. Ended up with a almost mirror finish when done.

I also took a similated picture of the failure to see what you all think as well.

Before
[Broken External Image]

After
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Picture of similated failure
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ai129.photobucket.com_albums_p232_niemi24s_GoodBadRampJobsa.jpg

Here is a little picture a buddy made up... pretty good illustration.

The one on the left was done by Chuck Rogers of Roger's Precision... his pistols bring around $5000 a piece and has been 'smithing for a while... the one's on the left... well, you get the idea.

Besides, I don't want to be responsible for telling him to take a dremel to it and be responsible for that advice if/when the frame is ruined...

In the picture of the Rogers barrel/throat, I don't see any barrel set back from the edge of the feed ramp but maybe it's just the angle or flash.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since mine is a compact the ramp is part of the barrell just like on a Glock, S&W MP or XD. On those photos it looks like to me the ramp is part of the lower.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since mine is a compact the ramp is part of the barrell just like on a Glock, S&W MP or XD. On those photos it looks like to me the ramp is part of the lower.

Right. You have an integrally ramped barrel. Compare the difference in the opening of you barrel to the ones in the picture Traxxis provided. Ignoring the ramped portion itself look at the sides of the opening how yours is flat vs the bevel in the pic in Traxxis' post. You barrel is designed to feed ball ammo just like a standard non-integral ramped barrel.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna say this again..... :D

Here is a bolt over base malfunction.

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_52145_HighAngle1.jpg

I could be wrong but the pics look awfully close.

as quoted from Hilton Yam

"Type II, High Angle, view #1: This is also known as the "bolt over base" malfunction, and is the result of a mismatch between the rate of slide travel and magazine feed rate. In other words, the slide is moving faster than the magazine will present rounds up for feeding, and the result is that the front of the breech face has moved forward past the rear of the cartridge before picking it up. As in this photo, you will see the breech face pick up the cartridge in the middle of the case or at the extractor groove. Generally look to replacing the magazine first, as the spring rate may be of issue. Next look to the slide stroke of the gun and see that it is at its maximum. Take out the recoil buffer if one is present. These are very common malfunctions in 1911s shorter than the 5" format, and are why we do not recommend them for duty use."

Latest posts

Top Bottom