Help with my 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ding, Ding, Ding.... I think we have a winner!!

Gonna say this again..... :D

Here is a bolt over base malfunction.

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_52145_HighAngle1.jpg

I could be wrong but the pics look awfully close.

as quoted from Hilton Yam

"Type II, High Angle, view #1: This is also known as the "bolt over base" malfunction, and is the result of a mismatch between the rate of slide travel and magazine feed rate. In other words, the slide is moving faster than the magazine will present rounds up for feeding, and the result is that the front of the breech face has moved forward past the rear of the cartridge before picking it up. As in this photo, you will see the breech face pick up the cartridge in the middle of the case or at the extractor groove. Generally look to replacing the magazine first, as the spring rate may be of issue. Next look to the slide stroke of the gun and see that it is at its maximum. Take out the recoil buffer if one is present. These are very common malfunctions in 1911s shorter than the 5" format, and are why we do not recommend them for duty use."

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeppers that is what it looked like when the malfunction happened. I couldnt recreate it 100% for the pictures but that is what it looks like when it happens.

I have a new mag on the way and one of my work buddies told me about trying to find a better follower and springs so I might go that route next as well.

Thanks for the info and helps peeps.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeppers that is what it looked like when the malfunction happened. I couldnt recreate it 100% for the pictures but that is what it looks like when it happens.

I have a new mag on the way and one of my work buddies told me about trying to find a better follower and springs so I might go that route next as well.

Thanks for the info and helps peeps.

Just pick up a new spring from Wolffe.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna say this again..... :D

Here is a bolt over base malfunction.

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_52145_HighAngle1.jpg

I could be wrong but the pics look awfully close.

as quoted from Hilton Yam

"Type II, High Angle, view #1: This is also known as the "bolt over base" malfunction, and is the result of a mismatch between the rate of slide travel and magazine feed rate. In other words, the slide is moving faster than the magazine will present rounds up for feeding, and the result is that the front of the breech face has moved forward past the rear of the cartridge before picking it up. As in this photo, you will see the breech face pick up the cartridge in the middle of the case or at the extractor groove. Generally look to replacing the magazine first, as the spring rate may be of issue. Next look to the slide stroke of the gun and see that it is at its maximum. Take out the recoil buffer if one is present. These are very common malfunctions in 1911s shorter than the 5" format, and are why we do not recommend them for duty use."

I think, given the case, I would first suspect short stroking.

This is a Officer size pistol, right?

Edit: Just thought of this... didn't he say this only happens with the hollow points? Maybe your HP ammo isn't quite as powerful as your plinking?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah only with JHP stuff. I am using that new Winchester PDX1 stuff though so I would assume it should be a decent quality ammo, but I could be wrong.

Well, I'm not saying it's not "decent" ammo... but rather that it may not be a high charge round.

What where you shooting before that it shot 100%? I'll look up this PDX1 stuff, and we can compare it to your plinking ammo. Your problem may be solved by a simple recoil spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom