Help with my 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if time permits and I can find some more WWB ammo or else some other ammo I am going to try some more JHP and target rounds this weekend and see if the ramp polish worked.

So far no one has springs for this gun on their sites. I am waiting for Wolffe and Tripp Research to reply back if they have something.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well if time permits and I can find some more WWB ammo or else some other ammo I am going to try some more JHP and target rounds this weekend and see if the ramp polish worked.

So far no one has springs for this gun on their sites. I am waiting for Wolffe and Tripp Research to reply back if they have something.

Wolffe will have them... they seem to have everything.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It actually makes sense that the JHP is actually more powerful than his plinking ammo and causing the malfunction given the description. Since Yam describes a quicker slide velocity causing the problem. Since the gun is of age and used, there's no reason not to change the recoil springs out as they wear quicker in shorter guns I believe. But I'm no expert.

I want to say that I still recommend you taking it to Barry or Mike.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this gun is old, it is new and never been fired until I fired it the other day.

So I dont think this is a recoil spring issue, or at least would hope that it is not a recoil spring issue on a never fired gun. Heck to this day I would bet that 85% of my dads guns are in new condition and never fired. They are all safe queens...lol

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While this gun is old, it is new and never been fired until I fired it the other day.

So I dont think this is a recoil spring issue, or at least would hope that it is not a recoil spring issue on a never fired gun. Heck to this day I would bet that 85% of my dads guns are in new condition and never fired. They are all safe queens...lol

I don't think springs or ammo quality are your problem either. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the barrel not being throated to feed HP ammo. JMO

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really seems obvious to ME that the slide is already moving OVER the round while the round it coming into battery but again.... what does Hilton Yam know? :D

Here's the thing, since this is a potential carry gun why not make sure it's sprung correctly to eliminate a variable? Springs are like $10 at the most? Ever think that Para didn't spring it correctly from the factory? Definately wouldn't be a first. I'll tell you right now Para is notorious for having weak mag springs in their double stack guns. Don't believe me? Search the 1911 forums.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really seems obvious to ME that the slide is already moving OVER the round while the round it coming into battery but again.... what does Hilton Yam know? :D

Here's the thing, since this is a potential carry gun why not make sure it's sprung correctly to eliminate a variable? Springs are like $10 at the most? Ever think that Para didn't spring it correctly from the factory? Definately wouldn't be a first. I'll tell you right now Para is notorious for having weak mag springs in their double stack guns. Don't believe me? Search the 1911 forums.

Even at that... it's likely that it was fully loaded the whole time before he got it... not that it "should" do anything... but it probably doesn't help if the mags sat loaded for years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom