High Quality Budget Folding Knives for this Christmas season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This Coast FX350 is an awesome knife for under $30. 3D milled G10 with a good grip, Frame-lock (locks up like a bank vault - no play in any direction), good ergos with a deep-carry reversible clip (Right-hand only), a beautiful flat-grind on a nice 3.5" drop-point blade. It is heavy at 5.1oz, but I don't mind heavier folders so long as they are ergonomic, functional, and not too large/small.

My only complaints are that the pocket-clip curves with the knife while in tip-down, but when reversing it to tip-up, it curves away from the lines of the knife (often times, frame locks will use the pocket-clip to prevent the lock-bar from over-extending also - this isn't possible in tip-up with this pocket clip as it curves away from the lockbar).

Also, I'm not crazy about the pivot being a spanner-type instead of a normal Torx bit.

Mine also came just a hair off-center (which to be honest - I've gotten Benchmades and Emersons like that from the factory), but it is nowhere near touching either the liner-side or the frame-lock side. It is smooth deploying out of the box, so it doesn't need any adjusting, but I wanted to fix the blade-centering because I'm OCD and the proprietary pivot made that difficult (I still got it though :D ).

It came very sharp and the 9Cr17Mov (Chinese) steel is supposed to be an upgrade over the 8cr13MOV, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it really is.

Here are pics of it next to my other favorite Budget EDC, the Kershaw Injection 3.5 (the Coast isn't actually that much larger than the Kershaw, I think that's a perspective thing from the camera angle - the two knives are almost identical in length):

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN0120_zps209d3285.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN0121_zps43b971a0.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN0116_zpsc4ed8809.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN0119_zps0ebdff2c.jpg

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a blem Blur last fall from Kershaw guy. It doesn't have the X's to indicate it's a blem. I paid blem price, did he just send me a regular one possibly?

Could be - I'm fairly certain all of the KAI blems have the X's. I'm not sure if they have another indicator now - it's been a while since I bought a blem (I will say that the blems Kershaw Guy has are almost never anything other than a barely noticeable laser misprint).

Kershaw guy is a stand up businessman. I ordered some knives from him that were blems for Christmas presents, he only had two of one model and I ordered three. He called me to make sure that I was ok with him sending me the real deal instead of a blem. I said sure and I offered to pay the price for the non-blem knife, but he said that it was his fault that he didn't have it in inventory. I have bought several knives from him over the last couple of years, and I will definitely continue to do so.

Kershaw still uses the x's on the blade to indicate blems, it is highly likely that he just didn't have the knife you ordered so he sent you the regular model.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kershaw guy is a stand up businessman. I ordered some knives from him that were blems for Christmas presents, he only had two of one model and I ordered three. He called me to make sure that I was ok with him sending me the real deal instead of a blem. I said sure and I offered to pay the price for the non-blem knife, but he said that it was his fault that he didn't have it in inventory. I have bought several knives from him over the last couple of years, and I will definitely continue to do so.

Kershaw still uses the x's on the blade to indicate blems, it is highly likely that he just didn't have the knife you ordered so he sent you the regular model.
Seals the deal. I will definitely buy from him again in the future. Too bad not many other businesses go that out of their way, and into their own profits, to hook the customer up. His prices are too good to pass up as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom