Hog hunting reg question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm right here. On department lands hogs have to be taken with legal means for the season in progress. And of course proper licenses/tags for the appropriate season.

So hypothetically, if squirrel season is open and nothing else, we are talking rimfire and shotgun only for hogs?

Jim Macklin

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've used a .375 H&H Magnum with a 100 grain cast bullet and about 10 grains of Unique for squirrels, just find a good cast bullet squib for your deer rifle and carry a few proper hog loads.

BTW, Kansas has complained about people smuggling hogs in from Oklahoma... I guess those hogs can't read the signs at the stateline.:pms2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used a .375 H&H Magnum with a 100 grain cast bullet and about 10 grains of Unique for squirrels, just find a good cast bullet squib for your deer rifle and carry a few proper hog loads.

BTW, Kansas has complained about people smuggling hogs in from Oklahoma... I guess those hogs can't read the signs at the stateline.:pms2:

Actually our local GW has complained that the hogs are coming down from KS.
Who knows.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm right here. On department lands hogs have to be taken with legal means for the season in progress. And of course proper licenses/tags for the appropriate season.

I'm still trying to get this clear.
If its bow season, the legal means of taking is a bow, or crossbow, or .22 rimfire on lands owned or managed by the ODW.
Rifle season, pretty much anything goes.
Rabbit closes on the 15th, and there is a gap until turkey season, with nothing open but coyote. No restriction on the weapon used for coyote that I'm aware of so, can hogs be taken on ODW lands year around using the coyote as the season in progress?
My brain is hurtin' from thinking about this.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During deer bow, you are only allowed to take with a bow (no .22 is what I was told when I checked on it)

You should be good pretty much any other time of the year. Turkey might be the other exception where you would have to use a shotgun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During deer bow, you are only allowed to take with a bow (no .22 is what I was told when I checked on it)

You should be good pretty much any other time of the year. Turkey might be the other exception where you would have to use a shotgun.

All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

After much thought, I can see some of the position of the ODW on this rule. If one is seen in the field during bow season with a centerfire, they could be interperted as poaching deer as that is not a legal weapon to be carried in the field either on private ground or lands managed by the ODW during that season. That reg is stated in the deer hunting regs for archery.
I guess my confusion came from the hog reg that said:

Public Lands

Hogs may be taken on lands owned or managed by the Department during any established hunting season(s) with methods authorized for those lands and season(s).
The public land thing is what messed with my head. That reg should be stated as state wide not just public?

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, Fish and Game here is made up of a bunch of idiots. Hogs multiple faster than House flies and they made it illegal to hunt them unless your the property owner. Go Figure.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My interpretation of it, although it may be dead wrong, is coyotes are open year round. Rifle is a legal means of taking a coyote. Therefore it is legal to be in possession of a rifle year round in the field, even during bow season. And since coyotes are in season year round, you can shoot a hog year round with a rifle except for places with special regulations, i.e. Three Rivers and Honobia.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My interpretation of it, although it may be dead wrong, is coyotes are open year round. Rifle is a legal means of taking a coyote. Therefore it is legal to be in possession of a rifle year round in the field, even during bow season. And since coyotes are in season year round, you can shoot a hog year round with a rifle except for places with special regulations, i.e. Three Rivers and Honobia.

I believe there are exceptions made during bow season where one can't be in the field with anything larger than a .22, even though coyote season is year around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom