Hog hunting reg question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I pretty much disagree with that being a good solution.

Well, maybe it's not "good", but it IS the "best one among several less-than-perfect solutions", to accomplish the goals that are SHARED by you, me, AND law enforcement: (a) Ethical & humane hunting of the animals, (b) Allowing hunters to hunt hogs to reduce the number of hogs and encouraging the purchase of hunting licenses, and recover said hogs for consumption, and (c) effectively curb deer poaching the greatest extent reasonably practical.

That is, 'less you got a better one.

AT THIS TIME, I refuse to believe that (a) is not a goal for law enforcement (i.e. I refuse to believe that the state/law enforcement WANTS us to shoot them with BB shot, not recover them, and let them suffer and die a long horrible death simply to accomplish the end of reducing their numbers). Hopefully they won't ever prove me wrong on that.

The rule is absolute silliness when you think about it, though, because any hunter that is good enough to put a hog down with a rimfire to the CNS, is also gonna be good enough of a shot to put a deer down with a shot to the CNS, *IFF* they are so inclined to criminally poach a deer. So the rule doesn't in any way help with poaching, seems to me, since there's an end run by a determined poacher any way you slice it. You can't regulate a criminal bent on crime by regulating the type of gear used by people you WANT to be out there hunting hogs, anymore than you can stop robbers from using guns in robberies by regulating that law-abiding citizens cannot have standard-capacity handguns and semi-auto rifles with certain ergonomic-enhancement features. Stupid, stupid, stupid rule!!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I just made another call to Jeff Brown, the District 1 Captain and explained to him what we were talking about. His answer was, unless the WMA has special restriction, like Honobia, then hogs can be taken year round with a rifle. So if you wanted to go out to a WMA that does not have special restrictions, then you can legally shoot a hog with a rifle, even if it is during bow season or any other season, because... coyote season is open year round and can be legally taken with a rifle. Now if the WMA has rimfire only restriction or closed season on hogs, then that would not be legal. In the regs for Waurika WMA it states "Unless otherwise provided, firearms are restricted to shotguns with pellets and rimfire only.", so that is one of the exceptions where you cannot hunt them year round with rifle.

He seemed very knowledgable and firm in his answer and said that is the way he reads the law, and that is the way the GW's in his districts interpret the law.

Reaction score
Well I think that that is the exactly right analysis of what the law IS, and thank you - makes perfect sense. But there's two problems with that with respect to what it SHOULD BE:

1. WMAs *generally* ought to be able to make their own special restriction here and there when there's a good reason for it. But on this issue, what possible reason could there be that centerfires are ok for deer gun season, but not for coyotes and hogs out of deer gun season? Is it a "bullet carrying" concern, due to proximity of nearby farmhouses or businesses or lake visitors? If so, then centerfires should not be allowed during deer gun season either. Limit deer gun to archery and/or shotgun slug only. Well I dunno - do they close the lake to visitors during deer gun season at Waurika? If they do, then arguably the rule makes sense.

2. Next, even if there is good reason for a special rule, such as bullet carrying concerns, the restriction ought to be shotgun slug and/or muzzleloaders only (and archery), NOT this insane rule of rimfire or birdshot only. A .22 mag rimfire will carry much much further than a shotgun slug, so why not just limit it to shotgun slugs, not a stupid rule that ends up with maimed animals (which I posit is worse than the poaching which the rule is apparently aimed to prevent). I mean, Waurika and others are NOT relying on "You must use a means of take for whatever is in season by statewide means of take" rule here (they can't or they'd have to let you use centerfires due to the coyote season being year-round) - they are reyling on a special rule specific to the WMA that says "unless otherwise modified, you must use rimfire or birdshot", period, when the rule makes no sense. It does perhaps make sense for coyotes, but not feral pigs that can get to 300 lbs or more.

But I guess they'll reap what the sow, I mean sew, when they're overrun with the piggies here in a few years.

Bah humbug.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. WMAs *generally* ought to be able to make their own special restriction here and there when there's a good reason for it. But on this issue, what possible reason could there be that centerfires are ok for deer gun season, but not for coyotes and hogs out of deer gun season? Is it a "bullet carrying" concern, due to proximity of nearby farmhouses or businesses or lake visitors? If so, then centerfires should not be allowed during deer gun season either. Limit deer gun to archery and/or shotgun slug only. Well I dunno - do they close the lake to visitors during deer gun season at Waurika? If they do, then arguably the rule makes sense.

The "possible reason" is that there IS NO deer gun or muzzleload season at Waurika, archery only. Waurika is managed primarily for migratory birds, with many protected species present. Any shotgun must be non-toxic shot, regardless of season. Essentially, if you want to hog hunt, go elsewhere.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead can be used at Waurika as long as you stay out of the two WDA's. There is actually only a small portion overall that is designated wetlands. For everything north of Hwy 53 lead is fine.

The only reason that I can think of that centerfire is not allowed is because for the most part the WMA is less than a mile wide. Only a few spots at the far northern end are over a mile but not by much.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to bring one back from the dead, but I want to be sure I'm clear. If I go out on Private land on October 1 to hunt hog with my AR, am I legal or illegal? Obviously I could hunt with a bow, but I want to hunt with my AR... Looks like everyone has an opinion, including the DWL. Obviously I'll need to get ahold of the GW and make sure, but I wanted to see what you guys came to the conclusion of half a year ago ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to bring one back from the dead, but I want to be sure I'm clear. If I go out on Private land on October 1 to hunt hog with my AR, am I legal or illegal? Obviously I could hunt with a bow, but I want to hunt with my AR... Looks like everyone has an opinion, including the DWL. Obviously I'll need to get ahold of the GW and make sure, but I wanted to see what you guys came to the conclusion of half a year ago ;)

I'm still in a quandry over this one, and I'm the OP.

First, I'll put in my opinion, and then give the advice I'm thinking would be appropiate.

I"m thinking this is worded in legalese to make it a discretionary offense.
Take for instance in my hunting area. We don't have feral hogs but we do have coyotes. If my aging memory serves me right it was illegal to even carry anything larger that a .22LR during bow season.
Reading between the lines, Hogs and yotes are legal year around on private grounds.
I'm still not sure how this all plays out, but, the answer is to call the GW in your area, and let them know your intentions, and the area you will be hunting in. Coyotes are legal with bow, MZ, and rifle.
I can assure you if you have a reputation of poaching or trying to use the rules available to poach something, The GW already knows about it. People can't keep their mouths shut.
If I show up on opening day of bow season with an AR slung over my shoulder,

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still in a quandry over this one, and I'm the OP.

First, I'll put in my opinion, and then give the advice I'm thinking would be appropiate.

I"m thinking this is worded in legalese to make it a discretionary offense.
Take for instance in my hunting area. We don't have feral hogs but we do have coyotes. If my aging memory serves me right it was illegal to even carry anything larger that a .22LR during bow season.
Reading between the lines, Hogs and yotes are legal year around on private grounds.
I'm still not sure how this all plays out, but, the answer is to call the GW in your area, and let them know your intentions, and the area you will be hunting in. Coyotes are legal with bow, MZ, and rifle.
I can assure you if you have a reputation of poaching or trying to use the rules available to poach something, The GW already knows about it. People can't keep their mouths shut.
If I show up on opening day of bow season with an AR slung over my shoulder,

Agreed.. I'll give them a call..

Latest posts

Top Bottom