Hog hunting reg question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have got to protect yourself from them crazy hogs. Use a .357 or .45 LC.

Its getting close to crappie and sandies up in the creeks on Kaw, and I've heard that some hogs are taking over in that area. Since I always have a firearm with me that is legal for hogs, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm covered. Be fun to bust a couple of them and use the bacon to wrap some crappie fillets in:D

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called the Wildlife Department on this just now. I pretty much stumped the guy. We both flipped through the regs and he did not find a place that said no, you cannot use a rifle for hogs during archery season. Being that coyote season is open year round, a rifle is a legal means of taking a coyote, it is legal, regardless of caliber. HOWEVER... he said be prepared to get checked out by the GW and you better be dragging out a hog and not a deer! He admitted that was a grey area and needed better clarification in print.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called the Wildlife Department on this just now. I pretty much stumped the guy. We both flipped through the regs and he did not find a place that said no, you cannot use a rifle for hogs during archery season. Being that coyote season is open year round, a rifle is a legal means of taking a coyote, it is legal, regardless of caliber. HOWEVER... he said be prepared to get checked out by the GW and you better be dragging out a hog and not a deer! He admitted that was a grey area and needed better clarification in print.

Quote from the ODW web site:
Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season while hunting deer, except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

I would certainly check the the GW in the area before going out.
I have posed this question to mine, and he indicated a ticket would be in order.
About three years ago, We caught a guy with a .22 hornet and a bow, that had snuck on to us, and was in one of our stands. He got a trespass ticket, and another for having a centerfire in his possession even though he said it was for coyote.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I completely understand what you are saying Dennis. The Gw I spoke to said he took that paragraph to mean that you could take a bow along with your rifle but not your rifle with your bow to hunt deer. He also said that not everyone would interperate that the same and I should contact my local GW. That to me was not a difinitive answer, and he agreed. He said it was a grey area. I think that is bull, laws should be black and white. He was very nice and admitted flat out he just wasnt sure If what you are saying is true Dennis, then coyote season would be closed from Oct to Jan with anything bigger than a .22, which just sounds kinda wrong to me. Does that make sense?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season WHILE HUNTING DEER except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

While huting deer... So if I am not hunting deer, I.E. Coyote, hog... You can carry rifle larger than .22? How is that for gray?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firearms Restriction: No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season WHILE HUNTING DEER except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

While huting deer... So if I am not hunting deer, I.E. Coyote, hog... You can carry rifle larger than .22? How is that for gray?

Yeah, kind of Grey since it specify's Deer hunting, BUT Check with the GW first.

We have 4 GW's that work at our plant as part time security on their days off.
I have asked them about calling in to the ODW line to talk about regs, and was told, the person answering the call may or may not be in the Law Enforcment part of the department. Its roulette who will answer the phone.
I have sent two emails to the ODW about my original post, and have yet to recieve an answer.
I suspect its another grey area, and do not want to commit.
The person that will commit is the GW in your area.
One thing to remember, the GW's can operate anywhere in the state.
They are not restricted to the county they are based in.
Some go to other counties for enforcment if the county ranger is not in service for whatever reason.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have asked them about calling in to the ODW line to talk about regs, and was told, the person answering the call may or may not be in the Law Enforcment part of the department. Its roulette who will answer the phone.

I agree. It was a woman that answered the phone and I could tell pretty quick she wasn't a law enforcement person, so I had her transfer me to the Law Enforcement division, then I got to speak with a GW. It kind of annoys me that he didn't give a concrete yes or no answer. I don't want something left to the judgement of a GW who may be a little young and gung ho about wanting to write tickets.

Reaction score
So hypothetically, if squirrel season is open and nothing else, we are talking rimfire and shotgun only for hogs?

Ahhhhh, excellent question!

The answer is, yes and no (mostly yes)- depends upon WHICH WMA you're talking about and what the game warden for that WMA feels like doing (how they personally interpret the regs), I believe.

Last week, the warden(s) for Waurika told me rimfire/shotgun only, since it's rabbit season (and presumably they would accordingly say "no hog hunting" after March 15, until squirrel season starts back up). But Bob Mullinax, warden for Love County, said that centerfires are just fine for hogs on Love Valley & Hickory Creek. Seems that he interprets the regs as "it's coyote season all year round, so have at it", since they have such a problem with hogs. Most other WMAs/wardens don't see it that way. In the vast majority of WMAs, if its *not Deer Gun season*, then the rule is (a) archery, (b) rimfire, or (c) shotgun BB shot or smaller, for hogs. IMO, this situation is BS - there needs to be one consistent set of rules for hogs across all WMAs in the state.

Now, here's my own personal thinking on this, and YMMV: The concern here is *poaching deer*: "What are ya doin?" "Hog Hunting" "OK" [then, 'hog hunter' shoots deer after warden leaves]. This is what you and I and law enforcement don't want.

But if you're *actually hunting hogs*, and not a poacher, then the reality is that there ain't a game warden around who cares what you do. So one good 'solution' that will make everyone happy, including law enforcement, is to carry your smoothbore shotgun and 1 or 2 slugs shells, plus 3 or 4 BB shot shells. Shoot hog with foster type shotgun slug. Take hog out. If warden sees you with hog, I guarantee you he won't ask you what weapon you used (but if he does, show your BB shotshells). OTOH, if warden sees you "pre-kill" and asks what you're doing (at that point he has a legitimate concern about whether you might be a poacher of deer), toss your slug shell(s) into the woods and show him BB shot shells. "I'm hog hunting". "Carry on". Or, lol, maybe you could even "fuse" your BB shotshells and the wadding all together with JB weld or something.

Another option is .22 mag with 50 gr federals or similar to the brain. Or of course archery.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But if you're *actually hunting hogs*, and not a poacher, then the reality is that there ain't a game warden around who cares what you do. So one good 'solution' that will make everyone happy, including law enforcement, is to carry your smoothbore shotgun and 1 or 2 slugs shells, plus 4 or more BB shot shells. Shoot hog with foster type shotgun slug. Take hog out. If warden sees you with hog, I guarantee you he won't ask you what weapon you used (but if he does, show your BB shotshells). OTOH, if warden sees you "pre-kill" and asks what you're doing (at that point he has a legitimate concern about whether you might be a poacher of deer), toss the 2 slug shell into the woods and show him BB shot shells. "I'm hog hunting". "Carry on".

Another option is .22 mag with 50 gr federals or similar to the brain. Or of course archery.

I pretty much disagree with that being a good solution. A good solution does not involve ditching shells in the woods while the GW isn't looking! But I do agree with you on different interpretations of the regs. There should be no room for the GW's to "interpret" the regs on how they feel that day, or for that matter, for me to interpret the regs. It needs to be in plain print, understood by all and not be able to be convoluted into something that it is not.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been actively reading this thread as it is a question I have recently been thinking about as well. Unfortunately I have no useful input. I am looking at trying to go out to one of the areas around Lake Eufala (if there are any hogs out there). I figure I will just call every warden and manager of the area to see what areas are good for hogs and what weaponry I'm allowed to bring according to him. Go with what the guys in the area I decide upon say.

Latest posts

Top Bottom