Holy crap that HURT!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was changing the plugs on my truck. It's a 2008 Chevy with a V6. The engine sets all the way back by the firewall and the truck sits up fairly high. I was standing on a step-stool and leaning on the fenders and stretching to reach the plugs. I had completed 5 of the 6 plugs and was just getting ready to put the wire on the 6th one when I encountered what felt like a cramp on my right side and under my right shoulder blade. My wife was out there with me and started to rub my back to get rid of the cramp. But it just kept getting worse. Then I could only breathe in short breaths. The more I tried to get the pain to go away, the more it hurt. It felt like someone had stabbed me. My wife had me go in the house and lay down, but that DID NOT work. The more I tried to breathe, the more I couldn't. I looked at her and told her that I was scared and she said to get in the car. She took me the emergency room and had to drop me off so she could go park the car. I walked into the emergency and the lady working admissions had her back to me and asked how she could help me. I told her that I couldn't breathe. She turned around and said "Holy Chip" (expletive changed to fit forum rules). At one point I had 3 people hooking me to EKG, 1 doing BP, 1 asking questions, 1 drawing blood, 1 checking blood o2 content, 2 setting up an IV, 1 shooting me up with Morphine (first time for that...kinda liked it) and about 3 wiping the sweat off of me with rubbing alcohol. Then came the chest x-ray and the CT scan and the pure oxygen. Ended up getting transferred to St Johns Tulsa to spend the night being poked and prodded, and not in a good way!! Got released about 130 and am now at home trying to relax. Most excruciating pain I have ever felt!!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remind me to never work on a Chevy.....

....oh, wait. I only own Fords.

Seriously, glad to hear you are OK. According to your account of the incident, you had 13 people working on you. That is some serious attention you were getting there. You must have looked near death when that first nurse saw you.

Prayers are for you that you don't have to experience that again.

Firemedic183

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad to hear you are ok. It is so ironic to me however that the people that really do need emergency care drive themselves, or have a family member drive them to the hospital, and the people that break a nail, or call 911 for "anal itching" (yes that really happened, and yes we transported him) get transported by ambulance. Very glad to hear that you are ok though.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad to hear you are ok. It is so ironic to me however that the people that really do need emergency care drive themselves, or have a family member drive them to the hospital, and the people that break a nail, or call 911 for "anal itching" (yes that really happened, and yes we transported him) get transported by ambulance. Very glad to hear that you are ok though.

There is probably a difference who is paying for the EMS transport as well.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a severe asthmatic adult who was only worse as a child, I've had multiple collapsed lungs (at least 2) and I know exactly what it feels like, physically and emotionally. It's a scary, scary situation which has problems only compounded by panic, but what else can you do? It's like having an elephant stand on your chest and a bit like drowning on fresh air -- you breathe, but it's not enough to oxygenate your body. The more you panic, the quicker your heart rate, the more oxygen your body needs. It's more than just a vicious cycle, it's a pulmonary downward spiral.

I'm glad you're okay. It's something I hope to never experience again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom