Home defense questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely look into it. I'm not opposed to going and taking classes. I'm just new to all of it and not sure where to start. Do instructions/classes come before figuring out what you are going to have in the home or do you already know that ahead of time? If people's opinion differs..surely it will vary based on instructor. It's nice to hear what works for some people and what doesn't.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you would be better served by taking a few classes and learning the basics of shooting before you purchase a weapon for defense. I assume most instructors will have several types of handguns or loaners to use during training.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like you may already have a gun or 3 that will work.
I say get to know all the guns and learn to handle and shoot all of them with confidence and accuracy.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would listen to your step father and take training from him - you don't need to be a competition shooter - just safe and proficient at very close range - my bet is, if you have a problem in your home, at the first sound of a gunshot your problem will run away....my advice to my significant other is - when someone is in the house fire one round into the floor - if they don't run wait until you see them and put the next 2 into their body - she shoots good enough to do that every time - an inexpensive revolver would be my advice - but your step dad will steer you in the right direction...as a disclaimer - we have no one else in the house - listen to your step dad on safety issues - did I mention, listen to your step dad ?

Warning shots are not advisable - they can (and have) be used by DAs or County prosecutors to show that the shooter did not perceive the situation to be one of "imminent threat" (or else why didn't they shoot to stop the threat directly?). In OK one is less likely to run into a zealot prosecutor but it isn't impossible and it puts the decision in someone else's hands.

Basic instruction in safety/handling/loading etc. from your step-father is probably worth taking but don't stop there. If you can also take a course taught by a reputable trainer or school that would be very good - a dispassionate third party professional teaching you has big advantages over a family member, especially if you need...uh...constructive feedback. Shooting is mostly mechanics/muscle memory with a key component of decision making (much of which requires thinking through in advance). So, think through most likely and worst cases and how you would like to respond. Where are the kids' rooms relative to yours if there is a crashing door sound at 3 AM, etc.? I know this sounds like too much but if you don't really think about that part you may choose the wrong tool for the wrong reason and fail to achieve your goal of being able to respond in an emergency and keep you and your loved ones safe.

BTW - my wife started with, and still has, a .357 capable S&W revolver that she carries. However, recently she has decided to add a S&W M&P to her personal carry choices. However, it took time and familiarity. The revolver is simple and reliable (not infallible) and can have advantages when one considers the possibility of being awakened at 3AM and having to rapidly grab a weapon, assess a situation, account for others/children, etc. The semi-auto is also reliable and has advantages in having more ammo in the magazine, etc. Nothing is a panacea it is all a matter of trade offs in comfort level, practicality, and other factors.

I will also throw out that if you are strictly looking for a home defense weapon at this time, you may want to consider something besides a handgun...perhaps a home defense shotgun, for instance.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting is mostly mechanics/muscle memory with a key component of decision making (much of which requires thinking through in advance). So, think through most likely and worst cases and how you would like to respond. Where are the kids' rooms relative to yours if there is a crashing door sound at 3 AM, etc.? I know this sounds like too much but if you don't really think about that part you may choose the wrong tool for the wrong reason and fail to achieve your goal of being able to respond in an emergency and keep you and your loved ones safe.

I've thought a lot about these scenarios and definitely doesn't seem like too much. We never had a fire plan because I'm like the majority of people and thought it would never happen to us. I stupidly thought it would all just come to me in the moment. Like in a high stress scenario is the best time for decision making :/

Thanks for all the info! I'm thinking about going shooting with my step dad and then deciding based on what I learned, what classes I'd like to take from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom